Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: April Daily Weigh-in

Just catching up - so sorry to hear about Mia's illness, and the stressful confrontation you had with the vet Linda! But very happy Mia is recovering. How is she this morning?

Had you ever considered putting her on a raw frozen diet? NOT that I don't think you're capable, but if you bought something commercially prepared it would be much harder for a vet or the RSPCA to claim it wasn't nutritionally balanced because stuff like Natural Instinct or Nature's Menu has been put together by 'experts' (in their eyes) who make sure every box is ticked in terms of nutrient profile. Still probably wouldn't satisfy an old school vet who wants to sell you kibble, but would be far harder for them to argue you were actually doing anything wrong. Just an idea. Out of interest, as you've been reading up - do you agree with the vet that she needs to go low fat?

Weight-wise, it's been STS all weekend for me. I did have wine but I'm going to keep off it again this week.

Blog Entries

Well done on your having wine sts.
    That's a win in my books!
    Trust the process, the results will come

Good morning all...can I do a happy dance?
    I've dropped another 3/4lb. Unexpected...but I'm pleased.

+1 for what MR JDW says about raw frozen...I use quite a bit of it for Sally. She loves it...of course. And I think it's quite good value too.
    Well done all who've sts...as Gilli says, it indicates consolidation of a weight your body is currently happy with.
    Jen...hope you feel less blah when you go on holiday.
    Christelle...that bit of gain will very soon go.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

I think it's good value. Nature's Menu raw frozen nuggets work out at £2.12 per day for our 14kg dog who is still officially a puppy - it goes down for older dogs.

Blog Entries

Thank you for the best wishes everyone, I’m so looking forward to going away, I’m sure I’ll be fine by then.

So sorry to hear about Mia Linda, I hope she is getting better.
    One is to many 100 is not enough.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrJDW View Post
    Just catching up - so sorry to hear about Mia's illness, and the stressful confrontation you had with the vet Linda! But very happy Mia is recovering. How is she this morning?

Had you ever considered putting her on a raw frozen diet? NOT that I don't think you're capable, but if you bought something commercially prepared it would be much harder for a vet or the RSPCA to claim it wasn't nutritionally balanced because stuff like Natural Instinct or Nature's Menu has been put together by 'experts' (in their eyes) who make sure every box is ticked in terms of nutrient profile. Still probably wouldn't satisfy an old school vet who wants to sell you kibble, but would be far harder for them to argue you were actually doing anything wrong. Just an idea. Out of interest, as you've been reading up - do you agree with the vet that she needs to go low fat?

Weight-wise, it's been STS all weekend for me. I did have wine but I'm going to keep off it again this week.
    Hi MrJDW, I don't agree with the vet end of. My reasoning: if she's got pancreatitis then the best thing for her is to rest her pancreas ie remove the need for it to release insulin. What releases least insulin? fat and protein. She is much better today. She is however, on antibiotics (vet felt her pancreas might become infected because of her pancreatitis). She has improved since the antibiotics. I think she's got an infection that the vet can't diagnose so they've plumped for a diagnosis of pancreatitis because that's the easiest and most money earning from their perspective. I cannot effectively express my contempt for this vet.

We are considering raw food - we are 95% likely to go this route. If this isnt an infection and is food related then I think it's down to dairy and a lactose issue.

According to my reading there has been a massive growth in the cases of pancreatitis in dogs over the last 10 years - and I do wonder whether it's the label vets assign when a dog presents with stomach issues that they can't accurately diagnose.

Thanks to everyone for all their kindness this weekend. Mia is a LOT better - she's started disembowelling toys this morning, so we know she's on the mend. xx
    Chaos: it's not just a theory... it's my life
    Linda: Reliably inappropriate...
    Totally enslaved by my totalitarian masters...

Glad she's feeling better Linda.

Blog Entries

That's great news Linda. As long as she doesn't eat the innards as though low carb not good
    Rosemary

Oh that's fab news about the disembowelling. Always a good sign is fluff on the carpet xx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ffion View Post
    Oh that's fab news about the disembowelled
    Only only on Harcombe
    Chaos: it's not just a theory... it's my life
    Linda: Reliably inappropriate...
    Totally enslaved by my totalitarian masters...