Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drinking more than 2 units of alcohol per night knocks 2 years off your life

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah(sjc) View Post
    Point taken, but it does seem at every turn that we’re told to avoid all the things that give us pleasure... I like my small glass of red of an evening, but I can fairly easily give it up - my only issue is that I tend to replace it with something sweet. There are very few non-sugary drinks available, and I only want so much water or tea or coffee. I’m probably more addicted to coffee than to alcohol.
    I would say that I am also more addicted to coffee than alcohol. I find it interesting that I can easily give up alcohol, but have never managed to give up my coffee yet and the less busy I am during the day, the more I drink it, but oddly enough never in the evenings unless I am out for a meal... weird.

However, that said... I know I have my mother's addictive tendencies and my issue with alcohol is that if there is more available when I start drinking, I will keep going with it. I know that doesn't mean I am alcoholic as such (in some people's eyes) but I do think it makes me very close to that. I have made the choice for now to take it very much one day at a time and hope that I can recreate the way I was during September 2016 when I had no booze at all for a month. If I can manage that, then I can manage longer. I don't know if I will ever be one of those people who can have "just the one". I seriously admire people like you Rosemary and my Mum who have successfully found happiness in life by actually giving up the nemesis that controlled part of your life (if not all of it) for such a long time.

Here is to enjoying my life more by trying as hard as I can to remain sober... I truly believe the excessive drinking is also contributing to my poor mental health right now xx
    Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution. Anne O'Neil

Anne I'm way more happy and content with life since I stopped using alcohol as a crutch. And as I've said before sugar is WAY more addictive than alcohol. I was only tempted once by alcohol when I was newly sober and the devastating bushfires were burning all around my town. I am so very glad didn't succumb, but sugar still keeps sucking me in when I feel down or even very happy.

Best of luck in your journey. If you want to be healthy more than you want alcohol it'll be easy.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by roseymary View Post
    Anne I'm way more happy and content with life since I syopped using alcohol as a crutch. And as I've said before sugar is WAY more addictive than alcohol. I was only tempted once by alcohol when I was newly sober and the devastating bushfires were burning all around my town. I am so very glad didn't succumb, but sugar still keeps sucking me in when I feel down or even very happy.

Best of luck in your journey. If you want to be healthy more than you want alcohol it'll be easy.
    I hear you Rosemary! Alcohol has become a crutch for me which is why I am so worried about ending up like my Mum. She drank solid from the age of 14 right through to her late 30's at which point she was downing a bottle of vodka +++ per day. I don't yet feel the need to have drink during the day (thankfully) which is why I feel it is best for me to start my journey now and not when I feel I can't make it to the evening without.

You are so right about sugar, but it is also far more available and so acceptable to give to young children (lets face it, several doctors have even described some baby milk formulas as "baby milkshake". I do believe that this incredibly early indoctrination is the most damaging of all. I would also agree that advertising of junk food aimed especially at kids needs stopped. Let's face it, if they can stop advertising cigarettes and tobacco they can stop advertising of anything they want! xx
    Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution. Anne O'Neil

Anne I'm way more happy and content with life since I syopped using alcohol as a crutch. And as I've said before sugar is WAY more addictive than alcohol. I was only tempted once by alcohol when I was newly sober and the devastating bushfires were burning all around my town. I am so very glad didn't succumb, but sugar still keeps sucking me in when I feel down or even very happy.

Happy, content, and a hell of a lot more PRESENT in my life since I quit drinking. Bar none the best decision I have ever made. Or second to quitting smoking. Whichever as they were so intertwined that rarely did one without the other.

It's too bad sugar is just so easy to acquire and use. And worse that there is so much misinformation about it.

Agreed sugar addiction is socially acceptable as no one notices it like alcohol and cigarette addiction. That's the only black mark for AA encouraging people to suck a sweet instead when they fancied a drink. Quick conversion from alcoholic to sugarholic.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Agreed sugar addiction is socially acceptable as no one notices it like alcohol and cigarette addiction. That's the only black mark for AA encouraging people to suck a sweet instead when they fancied a drink. Quick conversion from alcoholic to sugarholic.
    I remember Mum doing that! I think that was actually the start of her biggest weight issues of her life. Now unfortunately she can barely eat anything and still puts on weight. Sad to see her wasting away at the moment and her memory starting to fail now

Forum Guest

Hi, sorry to but into your thread. I'm a new member, and just starting week 2 of phase 2. (Still getting my head round the not mixing carb & fat meals thing)!
    I've considered myself to be an alcoholic all my life, so it was a great thrill to me to go on phase 1 and manage to go 9 whole days without a drop and not miss it. Unfortunately a 'trigger thing then happened - glorious sunny weekend, out with pal at a local street party, and had 9 units,- it's always been part of my social life, that was the trigger. So I'm now just starting week 2 of phase 2. In the last 15 days I've had 10 units, mostly on that one day. This is incredibly good by my standards, and better than any results from doctors/help group/organisations interventions in the past.
    I do believe Zoe is right in her book where she says the alcohol addiction is probably CAUSED by the sugar addiction. So ditching all the biscuits, cake, bread and other sugary crap is probably helping me stay off the booze too. I mean I can now watch my husband drink in front of me and not want it, and I can walk past the vending machines at work (chocolates and crisps) without a glance, so from less than 3 weeks on THD this is a terrific result.
    It's a big help to be able to search these threads for useful advice. Thanks to all of you.

Alcohol seems to be a real theme today!

Welcome to the forum Stella
    Sue - the first "no thank you" is the easiest

Stella, I keep a spreadsheet showing my changes in weight and BMI etc. It also has a column showing whether I have had alcohol on any given day. I find it enormously helpful in the interests of staying accountable to myself and whilst I have no intention of never drinking again I know that I now drink only occasionally and can see exactly when.

Incidentally, I find I sleep better when not drinking alcohol.

Good luck with your battle with addictive substances. This is a very supportive forum so keep posting and contributing.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO