Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trend towards Veganism.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Trend towards Veganism.

Hi folks. I have not been here so much because I have so much to do these days.
    . But I thought I'd pop in because I am wondering what everyone feels when they see the present trend towards Veganism.

I find it quite scary. Having read the Vegetarian Myth, and having read and seen the damage that Zoe talks about, I think it is alarming. Is the world going in the same direction as it did with the low fat idea? Are we going to see the damage being done twenty years down the line?

I went to Glastonbury last week and a group of us women met up in a vegan cafe. I had the food, but quite frankly it was horrible. Not even a roll or slice of bread, which for me would have at least been a substitute for the lack of meat or dairy.

Just Gimme meat! But watch the resource!

Two things strike me. It seems to be growing particularly amongst the 20-30 age group. The PR is doing a marvellous job because they genuinely feel that they are saving the planet. Or is it just the latest trendy trend amongst the hipster set?
    The second thing is that, amongst certain factions, it’s become a militant cause. Maybe there aren’t enough “environmental “ causes to get their placards out for.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mamie View Post
    Two things strike me. It seems to be growing particularly amongst the 20-30 age group. The PR is doing a marvellous job because they genuinely feel that they are saving the planet. Or is it just the latest trendy trend amongst the hipster set?
    The second thing is that, amongst certain factions, it’s become a militant cause. Maybe there aren’t enough “environmental “ causes to get their placards out for.
    How about 'save the world from plastic - eat it'. Margarine manufacturers are 99% of the way there
    Chaos: it's not just a theory... it's my life
    Linda: Reliably inappropriate...
    Totally enslaved by my totalitarian masters...

Club Plus Member

I don’t have an issue if someone wants to eat vegan, and there are meals I really like that are vegan. What I object to is vegans and veggies taking the moral high ground and criticising my choices.

It also annoys the hell out of me that anyone low-carbing is inevitably told that it’s really unhealthy to cut out an entire food group (which we don’t), but veggies are positively lauded for doing the same!

The presumption that we'll all universally acknowledge that it's healthier is what irks me the most, I think. I don't mind if somebody wants to be vegan, but I'm afraid I think it's pretty stupid when you consider the untold damage done to countless animals so that their soy beans could be grown. And I digress, but did anybody else see that programme on BBC2 last night about orangutans? So upsetting to see the hundreds of square miles of palm oil plantations that have replaced their habitat - made me so thankful that I'm not contributing to the palm oil industry, thanks to THD.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindam View Post
    How about 'save the world from plastic - eat it'. Margarine manufacturers are 99% of the way there
    Oh, that just made me laugh out loud. And plastic is what some newly converted vegans eat if they have highly processed replacements.
    If you look at the magazines in WHSmith, there now a slew of new titles focusing on veganism. Whereas there used to be 2 or 3 veggie publications, I think I counted up to a dozen vegan ones recently.
    One of my long term volunteers, who I've not worked with in a while ,is a very intelligent and well read woman. In her 60s. Involved in all sorts of things, particularly homeless issues. I learnt the other day she's now in the 4th month of being vegan. I told her to be careful and to make sure she supplemented with B12, as animal products were really the only source. She had no idea...she was still " trying to figure it all out ". Aarrgghh
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Blog Entries

I have said this before, so I will not rant (too loudly) this time.
    It is fine to be veggie / vegan if that is what YOU choose to do. Do not, how-ever think, that because you have made this choice you may now take MY choice away from me. I CHOOSE to not be a veggie / vegan.
    Trust the process, the results will come

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christelle View Post
    I have said this before, so I will not rant (too loudly) this time.
    It is fine to be veggie / vegan if that is what YOU choose to do. Do not, how-ever think, that because you have made this choice you may now take MY choice away from me. I CHOOSE to not be a veggie / vegan.
    +1 for that.

The environmental damage and the killing of untold wild fauna is something they should also consider when they criticise omnivores for eating meat. At least we eat the animals which die, they just cause habitat destruction and environmental devastation. See Lierre Keith on the subject - very well expressed in the recent film The Magic Pill which I recommend to all.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Byron burgers have large adverts on the London underground at the moment for their new beetroot falafel vegan burger. Says a lot that they think this is something worth pushing, when historically restaurants have tended to have a vegetarian dish as a bit of a box ticker, and probably nothing vegan. I have to say it does look quite nice, which I've never caught myself thinking about anything marketed as vegan before!

Blog Entries

Hope your migraine is better today GW xx
    Chaos: it's not just a theory... it's my life
    Linda: Reliably inappropriate...
    Totally enslaved by my totalitarian masters...