Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Trend towards Veganism.

Blog Entries

The vegan society was founded in Britain in 1944 but according to the Vegan society it's been around much longer. You can read their propoganda below.

https://www.vegansociety.com/about-us/history
    Rosemary

The evangelistic promotion of a plant based diet does scare me a bit. The number of magazines on the subject available in Smiths is vast. Compare this to when I was a vegan (for many years) and there was nothing - just BBC Good Food Vegetarian magazine. Just as we read articles which make us feel that the real food movement is gaining momentum and that the tide is slowly turning, we get those promoting a high carb, plant based diet saying exactly the same. It feels slightly surreal to me as it's the polar opposite of the way I eat now (high fat, moderate protein, low carb and mostly ketogenic with intermittent fasting). It's both the environmental and health claims that worry me. I belong to a pet forum and I rarely post in the general chat bit but there is a growing trend towards plant based and vegan diets. I stay away as I don't want to fall out with people with whom I enjoy chatting about cats. But I can't help thinking about the constant insulin production involved. One person posted that she'd gained weight since changing to a plant based, vegan diet - I had to really stop myself from responding but I really dont' want to get involved and I'm not articulate enough to present a coherent argument anyway. I'm generally a live and let live type of person but I do hope this turns out to be a fad.
    3 stone gone forever! Gluten free phase 3.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by roseymary View Post
    The vegan society was founded in Britain in 1944 but acvording to the Vegan society it's been around much longer. You can read their propoganda below.

https://www.vegansociety.com/about-us/history
    It's a very big website full of loads of stuff in particular about campaigning for Veganism in schools, universities, councils etc... even hospitals. The founder chap seems to have lived a long time, but he didn't really look very well to be honest. Not sure I could eat many of the recipes I looked at... too many chick peas and aubergines for my liking I'm afraid...
    Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution. Anne O'Neil

Club Plus Member

I do think there are parallels with the recruiting and radicalisation of IS volunteers. The techniques and language used are not completely dissimilar.

I. Sure that’s completely politically incorrect...

Blog Entries

It's veg, I'm out!
    Chaos: it's not just a theory... it's my life
    Linda: Reliably inappropriate...
    Totally enslaved by my totalitarian masters...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah(sjc) View Post
    I do think there are parallels with the recruiting and radicalisation of IS volunteers. The techniques and language used are not completely dissimilar.

I. Sure that’s completely politically incorrect...
    They're both zealots....
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lindam View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Rosey xx. Then it's definitely not linked to a recognised religion and shouldn't have been placed where it was in your handbook Anne - not even for alphabetical reasons.
    I'm probably at a tangent here, but there *is* a religious aspect to veganism for Hindus in that it's about not hurting other life forms which is a central tenet of Hinduism. The ambiguity comes because some consider breeding cows for milk to be hurtful, others don't.

I appreciate this isn't the argument here - I'm sensitive to this having had to argue for vegetarian/non-pork meals on our jobsite and being disgusted when someone termed it "we can't pander to everyone's diet preferences". I don't consider a Muslim or Jew not eating pork, or a Hindu aschewing animal products, to be a "preference" in the same as as I accept my choice to not eat wheat/sugar to be.
    Starting again. again.

Blog Entries

Well; it seems that I loaded the gun then left it to all of you to fire it. I am reading this in the middle of the night anyway, because I was suddenly curious in my wakeful state what response there was to my question. I have not been back until now, because of one crisis after another in my life. I won't go into details now.

It was very interesting reading all the responses. What strikes me are two,things. Firstly Veganism is Turning into a religion of its own anyway. Secondly in the light of that, I feel disrespected when Vegans promote their religion onto me. Whether it is direct, or through promoting it as the healthiest way to eat.

I have a book about my early life of a fundamental Christian coming out soon, and how I eventually came away from it. And the way that it affected me. With some pretty devastating choices that I made in my naivity to life. But I also have some pretty wonderful friends who are Christians. The ones that remain my closest friends who are Christians are the ones who have a respect for me, just like I have a respect for them and how they live their lives.

Consequently I am getting sick,of being disrespected for choosing to eat meat. I saw a video today about how the meat industry is destroying the oceans. But we don't see videos about the way that the vast plains where grains are grown are destroying the soil and the environment. As with religion, there are arguments for both sides.

People who have eating disorders struggle enough with food issues as many of you will be aware. And the constant bombardment of holy plant food diets, are not going to help the ones who struggle. To be honest as soon as I begin to realise that I'm being preached to about it, I want to wring their necks! Ha ha. But then that's probably my problem, and it makes me as judgemental as them!

Blog Entries

Harmonious thank you for starting a very interesting thread.
    Rosemary

Blog Entries

Harmonious, I agree that I do not wish to be as judgemental as those who preach at me. I have to respect many choices every single day and I hope I do so in a very understanding and sometimes complimentary way. I live by the "each to their own" theory. It is good to be able to keep friends from the past who may not agree with all your life choices. I will never forget the Catholic friend of our family who literally cut my Mum off without another word when she said she had chosen to become Jehovah''s Witness... it was such a sudden turn around and Mum was really hurt that this woman wouldn't look in her direction any more

I also agree that you keep seeing the so-called damage that consumption of animals is alleged to create, but never the consumption of grains etc and especially the damage those grains are doing to the meat industry. If cows were meant to eat wheat or corn, then why is it that left to their own devices, they choose to eat grass? That is not my biggest argument though and I shall say it again... what would these vegans do with all the animals currently on the planet that are bred for food? Would they leave them to continue to breed and perhaps take up more of the planet since this would be the least cruel thing to do or would they have them all removed, neutered or what? I would just like one person to answer that but they all avoid the question...
    Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution. Anne O'Neil