Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Phase 1 done but staying put

Blog Entries

There's a difference between eating slowly and grazing. No hard and fast rules of how long to take to eat a meal, but I eat really fast so about 5-10 minutes depending on what the food is. I would have thought a slow eater would be 20-30 minutes. If your meal times take longer then you're almost grazing and that's something that Zoë really doesn't recommend as your pancreas never has a rest from producing insulin.
    Also eating whilst working can almost be mindless eating and that's not a great idea either.
    Rosemary

I have a colleague who eats so slowly that she is literally still picking at her breakfast at 5pm (as well as her lunch, by that point). She eats continuously all day long, but tiny bits at a time. I sort of shudder to think what it's doing for her future, constantly having to produce insulin as she drip-feeds her system with carbs on a constant basis.

Eating slowly is fine as long as you're still having (a maximum of) 3 distinct meals per day and they aren't merging into 1. It's really beneficial for the body to have downtime between meals where it is not expected to digest anything.

I think the original rule is that you should leave around 3-4 hours between a fat meal and a carb meal but I've always tried to leave that sort of gap even if my meals are all fat meals. I think it just gives your body time to properly digest the food intake.

Blog Entries

This thread is a timely reminder. I'm on holiday at the mo, and I've realised that I'm definitely indulging in some grazing. So that's stopping as of now.

Thank you
    Chaos: it's not just a theory... it's my life
    Linda: Reliably inappropriate...
    Totally enslaved by my totalitarian masters...

Hi all. Day 9 and thanks again for the replies. I think in the past I would have absently picked at my food as and when I felt hungry, unless I had sandwiches in which case breakfast and lunch world be consumed by 10:00 am - a sure sign of a bread addiction I think.

Today though I made a concerted effort to eat 1 meal at a time. Breakfast was fine because it was just NLY, although I did feel hungry mid morning (breakfast was probably not big enough) but I had a decaf and that sorted that. Lunch was more drawn out because I had to fit it in around a care call to my mum, so I had some before I went, (was away 30 mins) and some more when I got back. That was fine until I got to about 4pm and realised I'd forgotten to eat my soup. Knowing I would have dinner waiting at home I decided to leave the soup. There wasn't particularly that much of it, it was luke warm and I wasn't hungry anyway. I can't believe I've just said that I wasn't hungry about 4pm. This without fail was always my most troublesome time of day.

My meals today:

Breakfast - NLY
    Lunch - home cooked ham & cherry tomatoes and later two chicken thighs in mayonnaise, NLY & curry powder
    Dinner - HF beef casserole, asparagus, broccoli & NLY

The coronation type chicken was actually nice but thanks Christelle, firstly for explaining what 'EVOO' is - I'd seen it mentioned but didn't make the connection - and for the tip about using avocado oil; I'll give that a try.

Finally, things are better with my teen. She's in a very difficult place at the moment but hopefully things will improve, and soon.

Blog Entries

Great going!

So pleased that things are dropping into place!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Blog Entries

Good to hear you weren't gnawingly hungry at 4:00 and that your teenaged daughter is resolving her problems with your help.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Blog Entries

That sounds fantastic Alison! Great to hear things are working out for you.
    Best tip Zoë has ever given me: do not eat when you are not hungry. (And my portion: if you think you are hungry enough to eat, then make it your meal. Don't snack)
    Trust the process, the results will come

Evening all. Day 10. I managed to eat my meals today with 3 - 4 hours in between and each within a window of about 10 minutes. I have an exercise class on a Wednesday and always need something to eat before to tide me over until I get back but it didn't cross my mind today. I also had much more energy than when I ran Saturday. My meals today were:

Breakfast - chicken breast (162g)
    Lunch - king prawns (150g) & NLY (200g)
    Dinner - rib eye steak (200g) a whole courgette cooked in butter, 6 cherry tomatoes and beetroot

Having made my own mayo I mixed a small amount with some tomato purée to see what it tasted like and I think it would be passable as a dip for prawns or crudités. I just need to perfect my mayo recipe.

At the moment I'm not concerned about moving on to P2. The headaches and muzziness are gone, I'm really enjoying what I'm eating but I can also remember my last time on THD when having done 5 days on P1, I introduced far too much, far too soon. I don't want to do that again. I want to make the way I'm eating now, a habit.

I woke again at 3 this morning. It's frustrating because I'm tired but obviously something isn't right, although that could be the stress there's been in the last couple of days with my DD. That said, once I've realised I'm past the the point of no return to sleep I have read various threads and articles on the forum and club site so at least I'm getting something out of the extra hours awake (I've done my ironing too!).

Hopng for a good nights sleep tonight.

Enjoy your evening.

Blog Entries

Looking good Alison.

I hope you get a better night's sleep tonight. A Magnesium supplement helps some people sleep but don't over do it as some of them also help with constipation.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD