Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why everything you know about vegetables is wrong

Default Why everything you know about vegetables is wrong

An interesting article in the Telegraph yesterday.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-f...etables-wrong/

My initial thought was that it was yet another extolling the
    virtues of a Vegetarian or Vegan way of life - the weekend paper had a story about the McCartney's and a raft of recipes using Linda McC's fake meat products. However, I was pleasantly surprised when it started with:

"But here’s a good question: why should you eat your veg? After all, plants don’t contain all the vitamins and minerals that you need to be healthy. And, in some cases, they provide surprisingly little.

Beef liver has several times more vitamin A than any plant, including carrots, which, though noted for that particular nutrient, actually only contain beta-carotene, which has to be converted by the body into vitamin A.

Oranges might come to mind when you think of vitamin C, but you can also get that from offal. Seafood is the best source of the essential omega-3 fatty acids that you need to survive and thrive; you can’t get them from vegetable, except purslane (a weed-like herb with a peppery lemon flavour) and algae.

We all know how crucial vitamin D is for health, yet plants deliver virtually none, except for certain mushrooms such as porcini. The same is true of the B vitamins, especially B12, which comes from animal foods like meat, eggs and wild salmon. Vegans must supplement with vitamin B12 to avoid becoming deficient."

Great article Babs. Thanks for posting.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Like it!!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Club Member

Very good.

Interesting I can't read the whole article as not subscribed to the telegraph but it fits in with the meat only diets that are becoming popular. The reason why I eat lots of veg is because I love it!

Oooh...I'm going to read that later. I'm not a big veg eater...the only times I get the "recommended " amount is rare, every month to six week carb meals. Thanks for that.

Ahhh... just noticed the author. Mark Hyman has written a lot about diet and real food.
    Last edited by grumbleweed; 15th May 2018 at 07:13 PM.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Veg??? You mean garnish‽
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    Veg??? You mean garnish‽
    Yeah...like colour on the plate.
    The best for me is avocado green...
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

I'm quite partial to broccoli green.

I like veg, and lose weight better when eating sufficient - especially the green leafy sort.