Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The lower carb message is getting out there

Default The lower carb message is getting out there

From the BBC - all carbs are not created equal - avoiding beige carbs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-44368601
    Rosemary

Encouraging.

This is interesting. We had a work training day yesterday. The buffet was arranged by a workmate. I'd guess she's 23, weighs around 18 stone. Absolutely lovely, intelligent, bright young woman. Everybody joked about how 'beige' the buffet was. There were pork pies, stuffed wraps, cakes, crisps. There was loads of fruit as well - pineapple, melon, grapes - all high sugar.

Do you remember those chicken pox parties that used to be held. One child in the neighbourhood had the illness so all children visited so they'd all get it and be immune from then onwards.

Well this was a type 2 party, but instead of a short sharp illness that left you immune, you'd end up with a lifetime of horror.

And everyone thought it was funny! How naughty they were being... Etc

There was a box of cherry tomatoes which I had 2 of - there was nothing else there that I could eat. EXCEPT - the cream cakes! I took the top layer of cake off one of the individual cakes, and ate a finger full of plain dairy cream and was told off for being wasteful and eating such a damaging substance - I should have at least mitigated the effects of the fat with the cake.

I'm now immune from all comments about what I eat - but yesterday's did 'take the biscuit'
    My mind is like my PC screen: 19 tabs open on the top bar, 3 of them are frozen, 25 half written emails on the bottom bar, and I have no idea where the music is coming from...

At my nephews wedding I did the same Linda, ate the cream from the top of the desserts, nobody commented as all too tiddly.

Trouble is beige food buffets are cheaper than colourful low carb buffets or meats, cheese, salads and a fruit platter.
    Rosemary

Club Member

Keep up the good work Linda.

Can you perhaps take you own lunch box to these work training days, so everyone else can catch your virus when you lift the lid.

I would have killed for a piece of cheese Rosey - however, that would have been too irresponsible for the health of the group to have provided!
    My mind is like my PC screen: 19 tabs open on the top bar, 3 of them are frozen, 25 half written emails on the bottom bar, and I have no idea where the music is coming from...

Quote Originally Posted by Lindam View Post
    I would have killed for a piece of cheese Rosey - however, that would have been too irresponsible for the health of the group to have provided!
    Sniggering quietly Linda.
    Rosemary

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineJ View Post
    Keep up the good work Linda.

Can you perhaps take you own lunch box to these work training days, so everyone else can catch your virus when you lift the lid.
    I usually do take my own food Christine, but yesterday, having been told it was catered, I decided to chance it. I am getting fed up of having to pay to bring my own food when others get (literally) a free lunch.

I'll revert back to my own lunch box - they simply can't be trusted to provide anything edible. I was extremely silly to trust them xx

Club Member

This links into a programme tonight on BBC1 at 8pm is a programme called "The Truth About Carbs".

The write up says: Is eating high-carbohydrate food always bad for you? Or are there certain types of carbs that are beneficial? Dr Xand van Tulleken - a self-confessed carb lover, who once weighed 19 stone, reaches some genuinely surprising conclusions in this enlightening documentary.

Look forward to comments on said program from UK Harcombers.
    Rosemary