Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plastic surgery: How far would you go in search of a perfect face and body?

Default Plastic surgery: How far would you go in search of a perfect face and body?

This article was in the Daily Mail. (sorry about that) I can only bear to look inside the pages of the DM (online) when I am feeling calm and stable. At other times it enrages me too much that I give it a wide berth.

It made me think though. We are all seeking health and either a weight loss or the maintenance of a prior weight loss. How far would you go with surgery for your aims?
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Ha! I was wondering why the text disappeared - I have a blocker on 'Love Island, Kardashian, Jenner, Blac Chyna, Bieber, Kanye'
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

I tend to think of what is now as perfect. Maybe not by DM standards (but even at distraction level warp factor 5, I'm not going there). But seems that what is now as perfect is a good place to start.
    Find what works for your body. Don't cheat yourself too often or too much.

I think if money were no object, I could spare the time for recovery, I could be assured the pain would be minimal, and the operation would be entirely risk-free, I probably would consider having a bit of fat sucked away from my abdomen. But of course, none of these things is the case, most importantly the risk aspect, which is always an essential consideration with any unnecessary medical procedure (which reminds me - this is an interesting read on that subject http://roarofwolverine.com/wolverine).

I occasionally think what it might be like to have a hair transplant (the procedure Wayne Rooney had). I would never have any surgery that altered my natural appearance in other respects though.

A friend had a face lift a couple of years ago. She said if she'd known how painful it would be, she would never have had it done.

If I lose the weight I want to, and if that results in a very saggy/wrinkly face, then I might consider one of the non-surgical laser treatments that are available (a former GP at our surgery (and parent at our school) offers these treatments - have seen him privately a couple of times for skin tag removal, and do trust him!)

I have no concerns about changing looks through surgery in principle...I've had lasik to avoid wearing glasses/contacts and invisalign to make my teeth straight so it's really just a matter of degree and risk to go from that to changing a nose, breasts, liposuction, facelift etc.

I'm stopped personally by the risk/benefit balance which isn't favourable for any of those at the moment. But a friend had a boob job because she was self-conscious about being a size larger on one side - I'd never noticed & I doubt anyone else did, but for her the small risk was worth it for the self-image benefit and I supported her decision. I have thought about pursuing a nose surgery - I have a deviated septum that makes breathing through my nose difficult and in addition its lopsided but so far the scales don't balance out the risk for me. Similarly my lips are lopsided and I'd love to fix that with fillers...if the idea of needles in my face didn't slam those scales down on the risk side!

Obviously there's a sliding scale from orthodontics through to that Ken doll guy who clearly has body dysmorphia, but in general I try not to judge what other people find important and affects their personal self-image unless it endangers themselves or others.
    Starting again. again.

I've had sooo many traumatic ops that another one or two would be a doddle. I'm not averse to helping nature where I know it will do no damage in other areas. I haven't the money though...

Bearing in mind the pharmacist referred to my husband as my son a few weeks ago - maybe I should have started saving years ago?
    My mind is like my PC screen: 19 tabs open on the top bar, 3 of them are frozen, 25 half written emails on the bottom bar, and I have no idea where the music is coming from...

On the subject of cosmetic stuff, I will never dye my hair. Going grey around the edges, and family take mick, but I’d sooner be grey than be faffing with grey roots!

Club Member

I have had plastic surgery paid for by the NHS when I lost a load of weight prior to having my colostomy. At first funding was refused and I appealed and it was reviewed and I was accepted in 24 hours. I was also given two breast implants because of my odd shape on my right side and I was unhappy and I have been evened out.

I am due to see a plastic surgeon on 19th August at the request of my Prof at the London hospital, with a view of reducing the excess swelling between my inner thighs, also I want them to look at my lipomas elsewhere. Liposuction might be the way forward for me. Not sure how NHS will take it this time.

Though I thought surgery was a possibility in my twenties, I'd never contemplate it now. For perfection? What's that? I did briefly dye my hair years ago, but stopped and let the grey take over. Which it has. But it seems I'm not grey...a friend told me my formerly deep Auburn hair is now ...blonde!! I prefer golden
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.