Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Standing desks can battle obesity!

Default Standing desks can battle obesity!

Well I never did. Any of you using standing desks. Sounds quite Victorian.

https://www.theage.com.au/healthcare...05-p4zvmx.html
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

And here is an abstract of the study.
    http://www.sjweh.fi/show_abstract.php?abstract_id=3740
    No change in BMI?
    Love to know how the abstract generated the standing can battle obesity. Also in several other papers including the Guardian where I got the above link from.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

I do not think standing will help.
    We have an obese lady working in the factory that stands the whole day, every day. She have been doing this work for about 4-5 years and she is still obese
    Trust the process, the results will come

I agree, no change in BMI and no change in absenteeism, but standing helps reduce obesity?
    Really? Care to explain how?
    Trust the process, the results will come

I think its beneficial for health in general but I couldn't say whether it helps obesity.

I have heard that standing desks are good for chronic backache sufferers, but not seen any evidence to support this.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

I think it stands to reason (you're welcome - here all week!). A lot of office workers with back pain are in that situation because of how poorly their workstations are set up. Anything you can do to vary your posture and the muscles you are pulling on at any given moment helps to ease it. I am on the point of requesting a standing desk now that I've been in this job for 6 months. I've noticed a couple of people have them so hope they can't refuse - but there is always a cost consideration to get past of course.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJDW View Post
    I think it stands to reason (you're welcome - here all week!). A lot of office workers with back pain are in that situation because of how poorly their workstations are set up. Anything you can do to vary your posture and the muscles you are pulling on at any given moment helps to ease it. I am on the point of requesting a standing desk now that I've been in this job for 6 months. I've noticed a couple of people have them so hope they can't refuse - but there is always a cost consideration to get past of course.
    I am sure you already know that an Employer has an obligation to offer reasonable adjustments to accommodate disability. Could your request be couched in such terms? (Last time I was working I took my own desk in from home, but then I was back in the office to "help" because a former colleague was taking time to recover from an operation and I had a long history with the employer.)

There are static standing desks available from John Lewis for 99, a standing "topper" for a desk which can be variable in height is available for 365 and there are more expensive options in the region of 1,500 but fully adjustable and in a range of sizes. Having one which is adjustable between sitting and standing looks like a very sensible option because its versatility would make it suitable for all potential users rather than being usable by only one person.

Do let us know how you get on with your request.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

I heard someone talking about having a walking desk which looked interesting, basically attached to a treadmill. All the sensationalist press had people trying them at brisk walking speed which obviously didn’t work very well, but a slow trundle should be manageable !

I've read about these before...and have my doubts regarding obesity prevention. Yes, we might use more energy standing, but surely actual movement such as walking for 5 minutes would be more beneficial. I'm also not sure that standing stationary is good for knees.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.