Thread: Genes put millions at triple risk of heart attack - in today's Times

Default Genes put millions at triple risk of heart attack - in today's Times

This article was interesting and then we got to paragraph 6 where they say that using the genetic testing will enable them to offer people statins earlier or recommend that patients improve their diet or lifestyle.

AAAAaaaarrrrrggghhhh!!!

Small rant alert.

My gripes about this are multifactorial (a word I learnt from reading articles about the causes of disease) firstly that they do not consider whether statins are effective, if effective they do not know what the mechanism is which improves risks of CVD, and finally that they obviously regard administering a statin as an alternative to improving diet and lifestyle.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Agreed - aaaagh.
    Rosemary

At least they didn't mention saturated fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen B View Post
    At least they didn't mention saturated fat.
    True, but they did bang on a bit about cholesterol.

I think the biggest worry for me is that giving somebody a heart attack risk score from the genetic test taken at birth is likely to change their behaviour for the worst.

Those who have a very low risk, genetically, might see it as a free-pass to eating and drinking and smoking whatever the heck they like because they believe themselves to be bomb-proof.

Those who have a very high risk, genetically, might be anxious and worried about it thereby spoiling their enjoyment of life and furthermore because of the high risk might be willing to eat and drink the wrong things because some idiotic dietician advises them to eat 11-17 portions of healthy wholegrains and eliminate fat from their diet.

Until there is good science at the base of dietary recommendations, it seems to me that any test which identifies particular members of the population as being high risk is only going to make matters worse.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

And they are still putting the emphasis on high cholesterol.

A lady I know just had a heart attack and is due to be given diet and exercise advice. She’s in her 70s, active, and I think cooks from scratch etc. Be interested to see what the dietary advice is, but I suspect it will be high carb low fat, which is probably what she was doing anyway, only more so.

Why is it that although the evidence clearly shows that the guidelines fail on many levels, and yet the response is to blame the patient for lack of willpower etc, rather than to try any alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah(sjc) View Post
    A lady I know just had a heart attack and is due to be given diet and exercise advice. She’s in her 70s, active, and I think cooks from scratch etc. Be interested to see what the dietary advice is, but I suspect it will be high carb low fat, which is probably what she was doing anyway, only more so.

Why is it that although the evidence clearly shows that the guidelines fail on many levels, and yet the response is to blame the patient for lack of willpower etc, rather than to try any alternative?
    Rule number one is that the numpties promulgating low fat eating are never wrong. They are so dogmatic, determined and certain that they are right that if they are shown to be wrong they fall back on Rule number one and find spurious ways of justifying it.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

I read a report, a little while ago, where some Lord-or-other, who had no expertise in nutrition, basically said that anyone who was overweight was a lazy glutton, who needed to eat less and do more!!! These are the people who get themselves heard and their ridiculous pronouncements published.
    Last edited by Babs; 14th August 2018 at 04:05 PM.

Just makes me sad that someone who has followed (albeit not strictly) the low fat, high carb mantra, only to have a heart attack (which it will be implied as being a result of not being sufficiently self-disciplined) will be advised to carry on eating the same way, but more so!