Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brexit and potential impact on our food - genuinely interested in what people think

Default Brexit and potential impact on our food - genuinely interested in what people think

I know some of you are leavers so I want to know do you share concern about food but think its a price worth paying to get the other things you want? Or do you have a more optimistic view?

The article link is below

https://amp.theguardian.com/food/201...mpression=true

An interesting question HC. The bit I picked out of my initial skim reading of the article was:

“A food system engineered on a three-to-five-day ‘just in time’ logistics and delivery system has the potential to break down in less than a week,” it said.
    The whole of the worry seems to revolve around the "food industry". My optimistic view, based on having lived in rural areas for most of my adult life, is that folk will start to rely on local produce and growing your own. During the war (not that I was born then) it was amazing what local food co-operatives could produce and I suspect that will start to overtake the market when people realise they cannot rely on the processed food industry any more. From a health perspective it would probably be better for all of us. The suburbs of most cities have allotment associations. A few hens can be kept in even a small garden. Fruit rots on the trees in many gardens, but will become a valuable resource again. People will be pushed by circumstances to be more self-reliant.

This is not something I considered before voting in referendum. I am old enough to remember life before we joined the EEC. I was born not long after rationing ended and certainly during my childhood food was plentiful, but we still grew our own at home and had a chicken house.

I think the British people are more resourceful than some politicians give them credit for. One way or another things will be OK.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Thanks for your response Gilli. I'd love to think that we would as a nation grow more of our own food as long as we keep some of very sensible EU regulations. I think what's more unlikely is that people will end up eating chlorinated chicken as British farmers take on the mass production habits of our new trading partners to keep competitive.
    I can't say more than that as I find the whole nostalgic element of Brexit very difficult to deal with. Think there are a lot of rose tinted spectacles out there!
    Thanks so much for responding though.

I too worry about chlorinated chicken etc but there is also the opportunity to develop an agricultural strategy free of the false incentives of the CAP. If they do follow through with a focus on soil health and environmental issues that could encourage more pasture fed livestock in place of ever more intensively farmed grain crops etc. I’ve just finished reading Isabella Tree’s book Wilding on the transformation of the Knepp estate and it’s fascinating how quickly the soil and ecosystem begins to recover when given the chance.

Club Plus Member

My personal view is that far too much time has been spent trying to negotiate a trade deal with the EU when is was blatantly obvious that this is just not possible. The demands of the EU for a trade deal would leave us in a worse position than staying in the EU with the UK required to jump through too many hoops and adhere to too many demands whilst having no say whatsoever in the EU. It would be lovely to have a nice agreeable trade deal but the EU wants us to relinquish too much in return. It wants money, the UK to remain subject to EU regulations and freedom of movement - all the constraints that the people of the UK voted to end. Generally speaking, rather than gracefully accepting defeat in the referendum and rallying to look at management of the effects of the Brexit, remainers continued to bang their drum in support of the soft Brexit that would put us in a weaker position than being in or out of the EU. Following the referendum efforts to manage the impact of Brexit should be on how we can maximise our own food production, manufacture our own goods and provide our own services and manage trading as a third country.
    We managed before we were in the EU and we can manage again. Why do we need so much food importing from the EU anyway? The nation has become obese since it started. If we could do without it before we can do so again. However, I doubt it will come to that, as Europe wants to trade with us as much as we want to trade with them. Yes, it will take time to be negotiated and worked through and yes, food may not be so plentiful or so cheap for a while but it will pan out. We are where we are and we have to deal with it whether we wanted it or not, not give in to the punitive demands of a sore EU.
    I am sure food supplies and prices will initially be affected but we have to deal with it and scaremongering is achieving nothing.
    I don't think it will come to having to eat chlorinated chicken and meat contaminated with growth hormones.
    Last edited by Julie Shenton; 16th September 2018 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks for the responses all. Time will tell how it will play out but I remain extremely concerned that this standards and food choice will be adversely affected. We are a small over populated Island and I don't think its realistic that we will be able to be as self sufficient as people seem to think.

HC, I agree there is probably not enough agricultural land to support our large population but there is a lot of usable land which is wasted at the moment. Before long if the situation with Europe is as dire as predictions are suggesting there will inevitably be a "Dig for Britain" movement and people will discover talents for producing wholesome food which they are currently hiding under a bushell.

There may also be food riots, sheep & cattle rustling, criminally minded people raiding allotments at night and stealing the food grown by others but at the moment all we can do is speculate because no-one knows for sure what is going to happen in six months time.

Julie, what you say makes a lot of sense.

Jane, I also believe the CAP has been disastrous for British farming interests.

Food may well become more expensive, but I think that it is unrealistically cheap at the moment and the processed stuff is of very poor quality. More expensive food may give farmers an incentive to produce better food. I do not plan to buy any meat imported from the US, but then I avoid buying imported meat at the moment anyway. I also try to get my veg as locally as possible to avoid too many food miles. We should also be able to eat all the fish landed in our fishing ports which at the moment is shipped across the world within hours of reaching the fishmarkets.

Things may well change, but not all change is to be feared.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

I think you and I will be fine Gill. Not so sure about people less fortunate than us.

In York there are community gardens springing up where edible plants are being grown. There are such possibilities almost everywhere. I agree HC that we are probably more fortunate than many, but I feel hope that the new dawn may actually help those who currently have so little disposable income and who rely so much on the unhealthy output of the processed food industry.

It does not need intellect, or money or education or privelege to grow food, it just needs the use of a bit of land or a collection of pots on a balcony and a willingness to try. The most likely scenario is one of collective enterprise such as a pig club or a shared allotment/garden. I may be an unrealistic optimist but even though I have had professional dealings with some hopeless people over the years I like to think that even they would find themselves carried along by the tide of a co-operative gardening enterprise and actually start finding themselves to be more able to produce food than even they would believe at the moment.

Time will tell.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

I read this with interest until I got to the statement Australia uses hormone growth promoters. I know for cattle that's not the case for cattle in Victoria as we had to put tail tags on our beasts before they went to market to show they were hgp free. And t h e added bonus most Aussie beef is grass fed not grain fed.
    Rosemary