Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brexit and potential impact on our food - genuinely interested in what people think

If only I could feel optimistic Gilli. It was always going to be this difficult complex thing and why should the EU give us preferential treatment when we are leaving? In my view we have had that all along and now we are going they are understandably not going to just roll over . We need them much more than they need us.

this whole thing was presented as such a simple issue and yet it's not it's incredibly complex and I fear that we are going to end up with no deal and be in serious trouble. Most spectacular home goal ever in my view.

Anyway enough said!

Club Member

I believe that once we leave other countries will look towards leaving e.g. Italy maybe. UK has always been the trailblazer.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineJ View Post
    I believe that once we leave other countries will look towards leaving e.g. Italy maybe. UK has always been the trailblazer.
    It will be interesting - I believe, from talking to my cousin, that there is a general dislike of the EU in Europe... Britain has, historically, stood up for the minor EU countries and with us gone - France and Germany will likely lord it over the remaining nations.

I also believe that the largest economies in the EU will refuse to cut off their noses to spite their respective faces - They will be facing the loss of a major economy that buys foreign goods.

France is a ticking timebomb as far as youth unemployment goes.

Germany, due to Merkel's open door policy, will likely make a swing to the hard right.

Most of the EU is actually pretty screwed
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

I very much doubt that any county watching Brexit will be keen to inflict that on themselves, but time will tell.

I'm really uncomfortable with the rise of nationalism across Europe as well as here - it's got the continent into trouble enough times in the past.

However, I also think Merkel is well on the way to achieving Hitler's aims, bloodlessly! (Jews, gypsies and other immigrants aside)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffi coffi View Post
    I very much doubt that any county watching Brexit will be keen to inflict that on themselves, but time will tell.
    But our mistakes will provide the route map for other nations...

Knowing what actions to avoid can be of huge importance.
    My mind is like my PC screen: 19 tabs open on the top bar, 3 of them are frozen, 25 half written emails on the bottom bar, and I have no idea where the music is coming from...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah(sjc) View Post
    I'm really uncomfortable with the rise of nationalism across Europe as well as here - it's got the continent into trouble enough times in the past.

However, I also think Merkel is well on the way to achieving Hitler's aims, bloodlessly! (Jews, gypsies and other immigrants aside)
    I think that seems to be what happens when federalism is forced upon a country by the back door - Look at the countries in which it is happening at the fastest rate.
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Quote Originally Posted by Lindam View Post
    But our mistakes will provide the route map for other nations...

Knowing what actions to avoid can be of huge importance.
    Indeed.. After we go; they will not be able to afford to stay in the EU and the EU won't be able to afford to keep them...

We apparently contribute 13.45% of the total budget. So in simple terms if you divide that by the other 27 countries equally they all have to pitch in another 0.5% each. Albeit this additional contribution would be divided proportionally according to each country's GDP to make it fair.

So do they need us? No not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffi coffi View Post
    We apparently contribute 13.45% of the total budget. So in simple terms if you divide that by the other 27 countries equally they all have to pitch in another 0.5% each. Albeit this additional contribution would be divided proportionally according to each country's GDP to make it fair.

So do they need us? No not really.
    Problem is, not all countries in the EU are net contributors...

I'd say that they need us a lot more than we need them... (based on that graph)