Thread: More bad news for Vegans...

Default More bad news for Vegans...

Was listening to a fascinating program last week http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/...icine/10152474 about new medications being developed from venom from various creatures - spiders, bees, snakes, cone snails, scorpions etc etc. Very interesting podcast.

Then I got to thinking - how many Vegans actually say - "sorry, but no, I can't take that medication because it is derived from a snake or spider?" How many facing a serious life threatening disease will forgo the new wonder medication because it is actually from an animal?

If we did but know it I think many common meds are from animals - HRT from pregnant mares' urine I recall...

Found some more examples here: https://www.newscientist.com/round-up/venom/
    Last edited by 2nd_Alto; 13th October 2018 at 08:32 PM.
    Sue

Gosh...I'd never really considered that. It's definitely food for thought...no pun intended. My eyes were opened a bit when a vegan told me she couldnt find suitable perfume. Like most non-vegans, it's not something I worry about. Thankfully.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Unfortunately the news is still pushing the idea of reducing meat consumption to "save the planet"... I still want to know what they are going to do with all these animals that they don't want us to eat? And given that the cows on the report were dairy cows, do they also want us to stop consuming dairy products as well since there are far more dairy cows that beef oxen on the planet too...

The alternative food we are all to eat.... chicken! You simply couldn't make this crap up!
    Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution. Anne O'Neil

The whole planet is facing a plastic catastrophe of biblical proportions. What about all the extra plastic we’ll have to produce just to put shoes on our feet if we’re not using leather? They don’t think things through.

Mamie my ex went from vegetarean to vegan but not the whole hog as he just couldn't stand plastic shoes as his feet stank after a few hiurs of wearing them. I wonder how many vegans turn a blind eye to things like that.
    Rosemary

I also wonder how many bother to drink veggie wine as well? I suppose vegetarians might have the excuse that they’re not veggie for reasons of animal welfare but vegans haven’t got that getout clause.
    On another strand - there was a program on Bbc2 last night, Family Cooking Showdown, one team was vegan. They were the first team voted off. Nothing they produced looked inviting.