Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you eat slaughter-free meat?

We humans have spun a very complicated web for our selves. A web that stretches right round the planet and affects things in a way we can barely imagine. We think we are helping by trying to reduce air miles, for example, but we can’t really know the knock on effect on other cultures and economies. We can’t do right for doing wrong.

Ultimately, I think we’ll render the planet incapable of sustaining human life (along with quite a few other species). Then the planet can regenerate over a few million years - not long in evolutionary terms.

Quote Originally Posted by roseymary View Post
    I read a book factfulness which was a real eye opener. He broke the world populations into 4 levels of income, where we are at level 4. There is plenty data available that shows as people move from one level to another the birth rate drops naturally. By importing fruit, veg and flowers from countries in levels 1 and 2 we are helping them to pull themselves up and then reductions in birth rates happen naturally.
    This is not helping in Africa. Some races have come to the realisation that we, as parents, cannot look after 11 children and will therefor only have one or two, other races are still of the opinion that their children is their pension fund and the more they have, the better they will be looked after when they are too old to work. One lady at our sister factory is 24 and is expecting her 4th child (she does not have the means to look after even one...)
    Trust the process, the results will come

It makes me incredibly angry when I see people of this age continuing to have children they cannot afford to raise - when a good friend of mine had hers 4 years apart, simply because she couldn’t afford them any closer. An ex-friend of my son’s is expecting her third with three different fathers, and no job... Son lost patience! And not his kids, before you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah(sjc) View Post
    Ultimately, I think we’ll render the planet incapable of sustaining human life (along with quite a few other species). Then the planet can regenerate over a few million years - not long in evolutionary terms.
    This is what I think too, so I just try not to think or worry about any of it.

It makes me incredibly angry when I see people of this age continuing to have children they cannot afford to raise - when a good friend of mine had hers 4 years apart, simply because she couldn’t afford them any closer. An ex-friend of my son’s is expecting her third with three different fathers, and no job... Son lost patience! And not his kids, before you ask.
    Same scenario with this one. 4 Different fathers
    Trust the process, the results will come

Controlling the birth rate (but not to Chinese proportions) would be a step in the right direction
    But that's a whole other slippery slope. Because controlling the birth rate in our current reality means controlling women's bodies and their associated rights. So you start with whether believing in a woman's right to choose to limit reproduction through contraception and abortion means you must also believe in her right to have a child she may not currently have what you believe to be the financial or emotional resources necessary to raise that child (full disclosure: I do believe choice means choice in both directions).

And even if you accept the right to mandate limitations on a woman's (or theoretically a man's but who are we kidding in the current political reality) choice to reproduce, who makes that decision for whom? You get into eugenics, forced sterilization based on intellectual or financial capacity, aborting babies with non-life-threatening disabilities, female babies being left outside to die or mysteriously being stillborn...

I'm with you on reducing waste and definitely on exploring any and all possibilities to increase food production in a thoroughly scientific environment, but I believe the world's population is unlikely to reduce naturally for a long time to come. Epidemic, war, natural disasters may temporarily reduce it, but again history tells that we (and all animals) have an ingrained survival instinct to reproduce. Animal population tend to naturally balance through starvation, predators, disease etc - humans have scientifically reduced the risk of the latter two and intellectually are generally averse to allowing the former to occur unabated. Just as our ancestors learnt the technologies of domestication, irrigation, desalination etc. to increase their ability to produce and distribute food, so we need to continue that journey. Obviously we need to do as much as we can to preserve the environment we need to survive...but we've been manipulating it since we first made stone tools to more effectively get into tubers for nutrition or hunt instead of scavenge. Eventually our time on this planet will end, as did that of all our extinct predecessors, trying to stop time and progress to revert or maintain a so-called sustainable situation just isn't 'human' - hundreds of thousands of years of evolution tells us this. I recycle, I buy local and organic, I walk instead of drive...but I don't kid myself that it's anything more than a stop gap or that humans will be the dominate species on this planet in a million years' time.
    Starting again. again.

Points taken - but in many of the cultures with high birth rates, I suspect the women have very little control over their bodies in terms of either the sexual act, or the bearing of children - and if they were offered a choice, might well grab it with both hands. Choice works both ways, as you say. I think the answer may be to get to a point with education and healthcare where all women can choose if they want children or not - the result might well be the same. I wasn't advocating enforcing a reduction, btw.

The other issue (elephant in the room) is that if you save all the children from infectious disease, parasites and so forth, parents who might have 6 children, expecting to lose 3, will have to provide for twice as many. It's not a comfortable thought, we all want to help babies, but the long term effects may bring problems of their own. I tend to think, that as more survive, the birth rate will eventually decrease, as it has in western Europe since Victorian times.

There are no easy answers!