Thread: The Power of Fasting

Default The Power of Fasting

Cover story in this week's New Scientist.
    I've not read it yet...I plan to over the weekend.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

I an only read the introduction. Not paying a lot of money to read one article.
    Rosemary

I used to catch up with these at the dentist, but it’s all Hello magazine now. And docs don’t have magazines in case they spread germs...

Thanks for the heads up GW. I will see if I can get the paper version at the shops later today.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Frankly, the article was a disappointment. Aside from some background on the history of fasting plus recent research, the author focused on fast mimicking diets, specifically a commercial product called ProLon developed by Professor Valter Longo at the University of Southern California. I've read about this before and was not impressed. Neither was the New Scientist reporter.
    One conclusion was that such diets are better for bodies that are struggling...excess weight, diabetes, etc. The reporter had pre-diet tests to measure various bio markers including blood glucose and cholesterol. A scan showed she had little visceral fat. The only post diet change was a reduction in IGF-1(insulin growth factor)...and a possible reduction in lean muscle mass.
    A quote that stands out...
    " Mental clarity certainly wasn't something I experienced. My brain hit the wall early on day 2 and on most days during the fast I gave up trying to work and went back to bed. After day 3 my legs ached like I had the flu, apparently a sign of ketosis"...(keto flu). This would have been avoidable if she'd done some research and made sure she got sufficient electrolytes.
    Gilli...I hope you've not bought a copy, though there are plenty of other informative articles. This one was not the standard I'd expect.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

GW, I never made it to the right shop which sounds as though I dodged a bullet (albeit a small one).

I went for a quick walk with OH on the moor because it was such a lovely morning here and the view from the top of Haytor this morning with the bands of mist over the Teign valley were just beautiful in a very Tolkeinian way. Then went to the butchers to pick up my order and later went to the garage to fuel the car, but felt really tired and did not do the usual weekend shopping. I have just got up again having had a two hour plus snooze. We are going out for a pub supper tonight and I did not want to fall asleep during our social outing.

I used to subscribe to New Scientist years ago and still buy it occasionally when something grabs my attention, but this sounds as though it is not the right week - although such an article should have been a zinger. You have probably spotted that I am a great admirer of Jason Fung and a real believer in the benefits of intermittent fasting as well as occasional 24 plus hour fasts.

This summer I read "What the Fast" by Prof Grant Schofield, Dr Caryn Zinn and Craig Rodger which was another good practical approach to fasting having previously enjoyed their "What the Fat" on keto eating.

Thank you very much for your review of the article. It sounds to me as though the trial was undertaken to undermine the value of fasting on an n=1 level rather than in an attempt to really immerse themselves in the beneficial outcomes which are possible when it is done in the right way. If she was hitting the wall rather than finding the clear heights of Mount Olympus she is probably a natural sugar burner rather than a keto adapted candidate and if the message she gave was don't attempt this unless you can switch in and out of fat burning with ease it might have made a better article.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD