Thread: 7 foods that can potentially increase your risk of getting cancer

Default 7 foods that can potentially increase your risk of getting cancer

I read this with dismay - they must just read other headlines and regurgitate dodgy science.

Business Insider Australia: 7 foods that can potentially increase your risk of getting cancer.
    https://www.businessinsider.com.au/f...cancer-2018-10

I was reading a supermarket magazine on diabetic friendly foods and good fats - poly unsaturated and monounsaturated. And of course sugar in the recipies. Swap white bread for wholemeal. Aagh.
    Rosemary

I guess I'd better not look!

That’s most of the things l love. There’s no hope for me. Seriously though when has “probably” become a scientific standard? I thought science dealt in hard facts.

Seriously though when has “probably” become a scientific standard? I thought science dealt in hard facts.
    No Mamie, sorry to disagree but science deals in disprovable hypotheses and probabilities. Something is probably a fact if you set up experiment after experiment to disprove it and are unable to do so. The greater the number of failed proper attempts to disprove the hypothesis the more probable it is to be a "fact".

Part of the problem with the public health sphere at the moment is that there is a dogmatic culture of "settled scientific fact" when there has been no good science behind the "knowledge" they are relying on and which skews all other research in that area of science and sets scientists running down the wrong rabbit holes. They know that all rabbits are grey and don't know what to do when they spot a whole field of brown rabbits.

However, just saying that certain foods "probably" increase your risk of cancer is meaningless without the whole of the data also being disclosed.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Aye - Falsifiability and Testability - the bedrock of scientific principle!

It is where a lot of the behaviour sciences fall over.. No falsifiability

Science always has to be in a state of flux - we all KNEW the earth was flat at one point - then it was spherical - then it was a compressed spheroid (at the poles) then it turned out to be planet-shaped after all! Flux!

As Gilli points out, the problem with science is closed-minded scientists that state 'this is the truth - end of!' 'End of', in this case means that the person's mind is closed. A closed mind, like a closed parachute is useless for the purpose for which it was intended!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Love it Mat.

Well said Mat.
    Rosemary