Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taxing red meat would save many lives, research shows

Default Taxing red meat would save many lives, research shows

Words fail me. ZoŽ has debunked this one before.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...research-shows
    Rosemary

Oh I hope this vegan crap fizzles out soon!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their Ďtoleranceí

Words fail me. There is no balance to such reports. Nobody (reporting journalists) ever question the science or ask for proof of the claims. But then, if they did, it wouldn’t make for such sensationalist articles.
    By the way, If they are right about bacon, my days are numbered.

The article says that people in the western world eat a portion of red meat a day (without defining what a portion is...). I'm sure I don't - just out of interest - does anyone on here?
    On Saturday I had a lamb kebab
    On Sunday, I had sausage and bacon for breakfast (out), and I made sausage goulash - definitely a portion of processed red meat (Heck sausages and chorizo) so got more than my fair share there.
    On Monday I had fish
    Yesterday, I had a leftover Heck sausage
    Today, I had a slice of ham for breakfast, will have a slice of bacon at lunchtime, and probably fish again tonight (out).

I probably won't eat sausages for another month - really bad planning this week... Actually, that's more red meat than I thought.

And another thought - if we tax red meat, will this not just lead to an eventual reduction in standards of animal husbandry??

If red meat includes pork, then I certainly used to eat at least a portion a day, often 2 or 3. But now that I skip breakfast, and lunch usually involves chicken, it is no longer the case. Probably still most days, as we seldom eat fish so if the evening meal isn't chicken, it will be red meat.

I know the press will report this kind of thing as though it's starting tomorrow but my god, I hope this turns out to be veggie pie in the sky. Surely this could never happen. Tax on real food? Shocking, crazy.

It's the fact that they always lump processed meat and red meat together. They are NOT the same thing, especially if the red meat is grass fed.

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    It's the fact that they always lump processed meat and red meat together. They are NOT the same thing, especially if the red meat is grass fed.
    Spot on Babs, I’ve been fuming at the radio and TV today. Such biased reporting drives me mad. Good to see the Harcombe voices of reason here.