Thread: Ethical Veganism...a "Philosophical Belief"?

Default Ethical Veganism...a "Philosophical Belief"?

A vegan, who was sacked from his job, claims it was due to his beliefs.
    Now, a tribunal will decide whether ethical Veganism has the same protection in society as religion.
    One of the criteria is that a belief "be worthy of respect in a democratic society, not be incompatible with human dignity and not conflict with the fundamental rights of others".
    I hope that the current, more militant fringes take note.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

That last comment about vegans being able to discuss their believes without being told to shut up beggars belief. What about the poor farmers and butchers who’ve been persecuted just for trying to do their jobs. Talk about “what’s sauce for the goose” and yes, pun very much intended.

He said: "It is important for all the vegans to know that if they want to talk about veganism, they are protected and no-one will say 'Shut up'. "It is important that the law protects vegans."
    It is important that the law protects EVERYONE, without fear or favour.

The knock on effect of a decision that veganism is a deeply held, philosophical belief akin to a religion will very probably be something they aren't anticipating at the moment.

I think I have a very deeply held philosophical belief in the cycle of life. Giving all living things the status of an individual being for the sake of the argument, in order for "someone" to live "someone" else must die. In addition to sunlight and the wonders of photosynthesis, the plants feed from the soil. Soil structure is maintained by the consumption of the animal waste products (manure and carcases of the dead). There is only so much Carbon, Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Magnesium etc. in the world and it cycles around and around from one generation to the next. My belief is philosophical and it is science based.

If the vegan belief system becomes a protected characteristic for the purpose of discrimination legislation, so will the belief systems of those who value the "cycle of life". All sorts of dietary preferences could become protected characteristics. Watch the vegan activists squirm as they are brought to court for discrimination and agravated criminal damage with the agravating feature being that they have attacked a person for holding the belief that only by consuming milk and meat from ruminants can we truly belong to the natural cycle on earth today.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

I personally hope that veganism is critically evaluated by the courts and found to be unethical...
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

This may be of interest...but access to Telegraph premium articles is required. I've not got that.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.