Thread: Getting Too Much Sleep Can Harm Your Health

Default Getting Too Much Sleep Can Harm Your Health

Not strictly diet but certainly health related.

mindbodygreen.com: Getting Too Much Sleep Can Harm Your Health Here's How Much Is Too Much.
    https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articl...too-much-sleep
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

If you follow the link in the article to the paper the following passage can be found in the Study design and participants section under the heading "Method"

As it is not feasible to accurately measure the actual sleep time using objective methods like polysomnography in large studies, sleep duration was recorded by asking the following questions: (i) during your longest or nocturnal sleep period, what time do you normally go to bed and wake up (time was recorded in 24 h format); (ii) do you usually take naps/siestas and if yes, how long (min) the nap duration is. The estimated nocturnal sleep duration was defined as the time space between bedtime and waking up time and napping duration was estimated by self-reported daytime sleep time. Estimated total daily sleep duration was the sum of the two parameters. In general, actual sleep time is about 85% of the time in bed23 and such information is more appropriate to make public health recommendations.
    So, they got participants to estimate their sleep pattern by reporting what time they "normally go to bed and wake up" and then applying a discount as actual sleep time is about 85% of time in bed. From this they feel able to draw conclusions of association between sleep duration and mortality?

In this modern age when a relatively cheap fitbit can record actual sleep time perhaps they should revisit the ideas behind the research and actually measure and record people sleeping over a decade or so and see what outcomes there are from that.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Actually Gilli my fitbit doesn't record sleep accurately. A couple of years ago I was at a girl friends watching a film in the afternoon. My legs were swollen so I was horizontal with my feet up. I know I was awake but according to my fitbit I slept for 1 and half hours.

My fitbit has recorded me as being asleep when I've already been physically up but resting/sitting. This only has happened several times. But a fitbit would still be far more accurate than self reporting.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Agreed. I cannot tell you when I fell asleep. I only know when I climbed into bed or when was the last time I looked at the clock (while in bed) and sometimes I'm half awake during the night but not fully to know how much sleep I'm missing...
    Trust the process, the results will come

My FitBit tends to tell me that I sleep for less than 5 hours a night. This is usually broken in to sort of half hour phases. Never slept for more than about 45 minutes at a time according to that x
    Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution. Anne O'Neil

Quote Originally Posted by roseymary View Post
    Not strictly diet but certainly health related.

mindbodygreen.com: Getting Too Much Sleep Can Harm Your Health — Here's How Much Is Too Much.
    https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articl...too-much-sleep
    So your flight delays are beneficial?. Hope you’re where you should be, now!

I am Sarah, at hotel waiting to be transferred to the river boat. I had a brilliant night's sleep almost 12 hours in bed and I got a lot of sleep.