Thread: Our Modern Obsession With Protein

Default Our Modern Obsession With Protein

In todays Guardian, a long but fascinating article by food writer Bee Wilson.
    We have become so obsessed with getting enough, that we sometimes forget what real protein is. She has reassured me though, that as an older person I do need more.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Great article GW. Thanks. Nice to see someone state, without dithering, that we don’t need carbs to survive.

I've read about one third. Will read the rest tomorrow when I have more time available
    Trust the process, the results will come

Sensible until he started spruking vegetable protein from pulses and legumes. They don't, from what I've read have the same type of amino acids that our bodies really need. The veggie politics rearing it's ugly head.
    Rosemary

It said that veg sources have the amino acids, but in different proportions, to be fair. And I’m sure I read somewhere that very high protein comes with its own issues (may have been Malcolm Kendrick). Whilst I don’t have any intention of becoming vegetarian, I am aware I think veg are much more important than we give credit, based solely on the evidence of my own body. I have to eat lots of veg to lose weight, preferably green and leafy... But also, I have plenty of vegetarian meals, and even the odd vegan one. So long as it tastes good, I will eat it!

Also, I think in the west we do eat more protein than we need, especially given we no longer need to hunt for it, and it’s relatively cheap, compared to the cost even 40 years ago.
    Last edited by Sarah(sjc); 6th January 2019 at 12:43 PM.