Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fibre essential for health?

Quote Originally Posted by JacquiC View Post
    When they 'consume' fibre, bacteria produce short chain fatty acids (such as butyrate), which are good for us - it's a similar principle for gorillas and cows: they are essentially eating a high fat diet.
    Ah but don't gorillas and cows need a 'fermenting' gut to break down the cellulose? We have a much shorter gut - That of an omnivore.
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

I too, have zero BM issues when I eat no fibre.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    They likely can't as there will be too many confounding variables in another crap study!
    I see what you did there...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah(sjc) View Post
    I see what you did there...
    That makes me happy!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

I saw it too...heehee!
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    Ah but don't gorillas and cows need a 'fermenting' gut to break down the cellulose? We have a much shorter gut - That of an omnivore.
    Yes, quite so :-) I was just illustrating what happened rather than trying to make a point, but we still get some of our fats that way. I haven't seen a study comparing how many SCFAs we need and how sources compare; has anyone else?

I see this report as another Vegan story to force us all to stop eating meat. I'm telling you, the next thing we know, meat prices will go through the roof, farmers will stop farming animals and all have to go over to crops to feed these ridiculous diets!

There is plenty fibre in food that even the reasonably low carb diets eat. I am so angry about this report!
    Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution. Anne O'Neil

There are vast swathes of this country where the growing of crops would be very different/impossible. What would happen to that land without sheep or cattle.

Exactly Mamie... Scotland in particular has many hills which are great for sheep specifically but rubbish for crops. However, vast swathes of Scotland is already given over to growing rapeseed for cheap vegetable oil
    Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution. Anne O'Neil

Broccoli has more fibre than supposed high fibre foods. I'll stick to that thank you.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.