Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Thin Privilege" - do you have it? Is it a thing?

Default "Thin Privilege" - do you have it? Is it a thing?

And more to the point, does it bother you? https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/hea...21-p50hgj.html
    Sue - the first "no thank you" is the easiest

I think it exists, along with being "exceptionally good looking privilege" and "not being intellectually challenged privilege". This is life! It is also probably innate behaviour related to evolutionary advantage.

A really pretty girl who lights up the room when she enters is in some ways going to have a much easier ride through life than the dumpy teenager with acne and a bit of attitude does. However, the dumpy teenager may not have the same experiences of entitled men who are exhibiting their "male privilege" and their having "a better job than some privilege" thinking that the pretty girl will be delighted if they ask her out and expect that she will want to sleep with them. The dumpy girl might think she wishes she were in the pretty girl's shoes, but in reality they are each having to cope with the hand they were dealt and the world around them. (Also the pretty girl is going to encounter a fair bit of cattiness from other girls who think they are competing for the attention of the better looking or sportier boys)

Similarly, being able to learn enough to leave school and get qualifications leading to well paid work is a privilege. Some people have to work harder than others to achieve the same qualifications because they have a less able brain or a different personality. Some people would be unable to understand or learn enough to pass the exams to get the qualifications because their brains are simply not capable whether because of something inbuilt or because of something in their early life such as nutrition or illness or abuse.

We all have a set of personality traits, instinctive behaviours, learned behaviours and observational data. Everyone will have a slightly different set because no two lives are identical. Thinner people therefore will not suffer the problems encountered by fatter people. However, they will suffer a different set of problems.

IMHO What matters is not the hand we were dealt but the decisions we make and the way we choose to behave and deal with life.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Thanks for your measured and thoughtful response Gilli.

I often think of that Janis Ian song (probably before the time of most of the forum) "I learned the truth at seventeen, that life was meant for beauty queens".... - but maybe characters are forged by having to struggle a bit - ie, not being the beauty queen!

I remember that one Sue. For the uninitiated listen on youtube here.

I agree the character of most of us is forged in the struggle. The beauty queens may also have their character forged in the struggle, but it is a very different struggle from the one we faced and marks them apart for life.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

I was called a ‘posh cow’ in Lidl yesterday. I have no idea why - I did and said nothing to anyone. I can only assume my bearing, clothing or the contents of my trolley irked them. My mother, who’s only mission in life was to be posh, would have been so proud...

I assume I must just ooze privilege
    My mind is like my PC screen: 19 tabs open on the top bar, 3 of them are frozen, 25 half written emails on the bottom bar, and I have no idea where the music is coming from...

Love it Linda! Posh eh...... Aussies don't know posh, wouldn't know it if it bit them on the bum.

I remember reading about it here...and then posting on the forum about it. Not sure I can find the thread though. It's an interesting concept, but not something I think about as to whether or not I've "got it".
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd_Alto View Post
    Love it Linda! Posh eh...... Aussies don't know posh, wouldn't know it if it bit them on the bum.
    I have never bitten anyone on the posterior!
    My mind is like my PC screen: 19 tabs open on the top bar, 3 of them are frozen, 25 half written emails on the bottom bar, and I have no idea where the music is coming from...

I'm very relieved to hear it!

Do we connect ‘privilege’ with unearned advantage? And we assume the ‘unearned’ bit because it’s human nature to affect effortlessness. Lots of ifs and buts, I know!

Pretty people - born with it, not earned.
    Good education - born into the family with the funds to acquire it for you.
    Thin - born with thin genes and no propensity to overeat

Therefore, because it’s unearned it’s not fair?