Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Thin Privilege" - do you have it? Is it a thing?

Thing is... I know thin privilege is one side of the coin but the other side is discrimination and no Linda, that's not fair. I have no idea about real discrimination - I'm white and lucky for me, middle class with a good education. I don't even think I have ever felt discriminated against as a woman. But I have felt discriminated against as a fat person - back in the 70s when very few people were fat and the only shops selling "larger" clothes were the WX and OS (or Wixes and Oz" as we called it - oh and Evans! Wearing what felt like Old Lady clothes when everyone else was wearing mini skirts.... You tell me who is more likely to get the job as TV news reader - the slim woman or the fat one?
    Sue - the first "no thank you" is the easiest

Quote Originally Posted by Lindam View Post
    I was called a ‘posh cow’ in Lidl yesterday. I have no idea why - I did and said nothing to anyone. I can only assume my bearing, clothing or the contents of my trolley irked them. My mother, who’s only mission in life was to be posh, would have been so proud...

I assume I must just ooze privilege
    Hmmm...that reminds me of the time my (ex) MIL told me that as an American, I was spoiled. It didn't make a lot of sense to me at the time...coming from a lower middle class family, and parents who were not interested in "keeping up with the Jones's ". But I was new to the UK and its history, and could not compare my upbringing with that of someone here in the post war years.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd_Alto View Post
    Love it Linda! Posh eh...... Aussies don't know posh, wouldn't know it if it bit them on the bum.
    They do down 'ere mate. There's some seriously stuck up snobs in some of the posher Melbourne suburbs such as Brighton and South Yarra. To used a good old Aussie expression "They think their s#$t don't smell".

Typically live in houses worth multi millions, drive Porche cars, send kids to the best private schools and look down their noses at people outside their set.

Gilli is right there's all sorts of privilege in this world and it's what we do with it that matters most.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Oh! Well I forgot... should have remembered that the people of Melbourne are frightfully well born....
    Last edited by 2nd_Alto; 13th January 2019 at 10:32 PM.
    Sue - the first "no thank you" is the easiest