Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nutritionists Launch Portion Size Guidlines

Default Nutritionists Launch Portion Size Guidlines

In todays Guardian.

I've seen guidlines like this before, but what really sends me into full rant mode is the daily meal recommendation...

// Portion size recommendations

*A recommended day includes a breakfast of two wheat biscuits with semi-skimmed milk, followed by a banana and small 150ml glass of orange juice. Lunch is a baked potato about the size of your fist, with tuna mayonnaise made with a medium-sized tin of tuna. A cereal bowl full of mixed salad can also be eaten as part of your midday meal, as well as two tangerines. Dinner is spaghetti bolognese served with the amount of cooked pasta that would fit in two hands cupped together, and three serving spoons or more of broccoli. Dessert can be a small pot of low fat fruit yoghurt. Throughout the day people are advised to snack on fruit, such as an apple, as well as two oatcakes and reduced fat soft cheese. This meal plan equates to seven portions of fruit and vegetables, four portions of starchy foods, two portions of protein and three portions of dairy. //

The dreaded "low fat" crops up in what is also a carb heavy diet.
    Have they not learned anything?

And finally...
    // The guidance was produced with help from a panel of experts, says the BNF, and funding from major food companies and supermarkets including Waitrose, Tesco and Marks and Spencer. //
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Aaarrrggghhh!!!
    *banging my head slowly against the wall*
    Trust the process, the results will come

FGS, are we still in the 80’s?
    My mind is like my PC screen: 19 tabs open on the top bar, 3 of them are frozen, 25 half written emails on the bottom bar, and I have no idea where the music is coming from...

80s? Looks like it....my poor head is so sore and there's a big dent in the wall.

My husband saw something similar to this on a "health" programme he was watching about ten days ago. He decided we "needed" to stock up on "pasta and stuff". I was outraged, and quickly sat him down again with his copy of the Harcombe Diet For Men. I cleared out all of the food cupboards of the rubbish he normally eats and had accumulated over December, and we embarked on the blitz 7 days ago. He's already lost 5lbs and I've lost 4. Job done. (Still itched to clip him round the ear'ole though, and couldn't resist saying "told you!") He knows it works, but it seems everyone is susceptible to "the Experts said...." when all they really consist of is food manufacturers and gym bunnies who work out 24/7". Am not surprised you've got a dent in the wall and a sore head, Grumbleweed. Am needing some polyfilla meself....

He even made the unwise statement: "Oh so you're going to disagree with all the experts then, are you?!"

//...Am needing some polyfilla meself...//

Oh, that made me laugh xx

I'm amazed you're not a widow in jail Justbecoz! Hopefully he got the correct message from you.

The Harcombe Diet for men is on CD perhaps have this paying on loop at night so he gets brainwashed with the good stuff
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by grumbleweed View Post
    In todays Guardian.

I've seen guidlines like this before, but what really sends me into full rant mode is the daily meal recommendation...

// Portion size recommendations

•*A recommended day includes a breakfast of two wheat biscuits with semi-skimmed milk, followed by a banana and small 150ml glass of orange juice. Lunch is a baked potato about the size of your fist, with tuna mayonnaise made with a medium-sized tin of tuna. A cereal bowl full of mixed salad can also be eaten as part of your midday meal, as well as two tangerines. Dinner is spaghetti bolognese served with the amount of cooked pasta that would fit in two hands cupped together, and three serving spoons or more of broccoli. Dessert can be a small pot of low fat fruit yoghurt. Throughout the day people are advised to snack on fruit, such as an apple, as well as two oatcakes and reduced fat soft cheese. This meal plan equates to seven portions of fruit and vegetables, four portions of starchy foods, two portions of protein and three portions of dairy. //

The dreaded "low fat" crops up in what is also a carb heavy diet.
    Have they not learned anything?

And finally...
    // The guidance was produced with help from a panel of experts, says the BNF, and funding from major food companies and supermarkets including Waitrose, Tesco and Marks and Spencer. //
    Oh god this is so depressing!

Meal recommendation = sugar+sugar+sugar+sugar etc etc etc
    Endorsing Curry for Breakfast since 2011

BNF. Weren't they the ones sponsored by Tate & Lyle a while back?