Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Words fail me

I heard this on the BBC World Service on my commute to work this morning (I live in Boston, Massachusetts, though I'm originally English). My immediate reaction was to shout "B***S**t!" at the radio (poor radio, it doesn't deserve that kind of abuse!). Immediately after that, I thought: Zoe will make mincemeat out of that in about 5 minutes.

And I wasn't wrong!

I saw this in The Telegraph and I had to laugh at the final comment which said:

'They say they want to save the planet, but it is not clear which planet they're on.'

I was sitting here minding my own business when this came on the 6 o'clock news. What caught my attention was the reporter's shock that only 1/4 of an egg was allowed. I then read the details in Zoe's email. It just got worse. Finally, l looked st the DMs take on it...going straight to the comments. This said it all...

// I am sick and f + + + ing tired of being told what to f + + + ing do, what to f + + + ing eat, and when to f + + + ing eat it. I f + + + ing hate the fact that some spotty littIe vegan t + + + is sitting in an office somewhere, courtesy of my f + + + ing taxes, dreaming up new ways to p + + + me off. Is there a poIitician anywhere with the two brain ceIIs required to just tell these f + + + ers to just pack their bags and f + + + off? A quarter of a rasher... for f + + + s sake did anyone read this s + + + before releasing it into the wiId? //

PS...did anyone else lose Harcombe from about 6:30pm? I kept getting a message that the site couldn't respond.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

My thoughts exactly GW. Yes I had a problem too - it just would t load.

Here's the Guardian's take on it...with a 7 day meal plan.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Club Plus Member

Quote Originally Posted by grumbleweed View Post
    I was sitting here minding my own business when this came on the 6 o'clock news. What caught my attention was the reporter's shock that only 1/4 of an egg was allowed. I then read the details in Zoe's email. It just got worse. Finally, l looked st the DMs take on it...going straight to the comments. This said it all...

// I am sick and f + + + ing tired of being told what to f + + + ing do, what to f + + + ing eat, and when to f + + + ing eat it. I f + + + ing hate the fact that some spotty littIe vegan t + + + is sitting in an office somewhere, courtesy of my f + + + ing taxes, dreaming up new ways to p + + + me off. Is there a poIitician anywhere with the two brain ceIIs required to just tell these f + + + ers to just pack their bags and f + + + off? A quarter of a rasher... for f + + + s sake did anyone read this s + + + before releasing it into the wiId? //

PS...did anyone else lose Harcombe from about 6:30pm? I kept getting a message that the site couldn't respond.

Love this, absolutely my thoughts exactly.

I didnít try logging on at 6.30

I've been thinking about this on and off all day. Zoe's done a fine job of dissecting the dismal nutritional aspects of this, but there are other considerations.

1. The article assumes a population growth that might or might not happen. There are a number of factors: If a developing country becomes significantly better off, the fertility rates drop -- there are a number of reasons for this: availability of contraception, women's education, more children surviving reducing the need to have so many, etc. Back in 1968 Paul Erlich wrote "The Population Bomb" which posited a world where overpopulation had caused wars and created economic upheaval (think "Soylent Green") IIRC, he expected this to happen by the year 2000. Didn't happen then and almost certainly won't happen.

2. The article assumes that there will be no progress in agriculture. Nothing that will improve crop yields or the nutritional value of crops produced. Highly unlikely -- there are lots of people working very hard on this. There are also large areas of the world (mostly in Asia) where agriculture is still at a medieval subsistence level -- bring those places forward to even the 18th century level and you've got a massive increase in output on the same acreage, for about the same (or less) labour.

3. The article assumes that all land currently used for agriculture is arable land. It's not. There's a lot of land (Northern US, Scotland, Wales. parts of Germany, Australia, etc.) that are useless for growing crops, but are great for growing animals -- especially sheep and goats. So not using that land for animals wastes it.

Then there are the other factors:

A. Wastage. We produce a lot of food that goes to waste. There are a lot of reasons for this: Delays in transit, failures of storage,spoilage, etc.

B. Government intervention: In the US (and probably other countries) farmers are paid not to grow some crops and overpaid for others. Additionally in the US corn is grown for ethanol which is added (unnecessarily) to gasoline (petrol).

C. Then there are the fun regulations that specify things like the curve of a banana or the colour of an apple or the size of a potato -- a whole lot of produce goes to waste because it either doesn't meet those standards or is considered by the supermarket buyers to be too "ugly" to sell. (Again that's a mostly US problem). Tossing perfectly good food in the trash because it's past its sell-by date, is another source of waste.

D. Screwed up regimes. Zimbabwe used to be a net food exporter, until Mugabe kicked out the white farmers and replaced them with his cronies, people who didn't know which end of a shovel was which. The same is starting to happen in South Africa. Fix that sort of systemic regime problem, and suddenly there's a lot more food in Africa.

As things stand, we produce enough food to feed the world right now, and a whole bunch more people as well. The problems are not in food *production* -- they're in storage, distribution, wastage, and price. As well as growing the appropriate crops and good land management.

But none of that matters when your agenda is to put the whole world on a vegetarian/vegan diet.

A very good reason not to watch the news.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Well said Hugh.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Fantastic retort Hugh
    Trust the process, the results will come