Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The EAT Lancet diet is nutritionally deficient

I heard this discussed on Radio 4 when I was in the car on the way to work yesterday. There was a supporter of the report and a British farmer who produces grass fed meat on his medium sized farm. He made a very good point. He said that his animals live on grass which sequesters some of their emissions whereas the report seems to be encouraging the consumption of pigs and poultry which have been raised intensively. He could not accept that intensive pig and poultry units were better for the environment than his grazing flock and herd. Good for him I thought, but arrived at work and could not listen to the end of the discussion.

Our uplands have been grazed for millennia and we need to keep that going. You cannot grow beans and grains in moorland environment. If you tried you would destroy the topsoil entirely, whereas it is obvious if you look at Dartmoor or the North York Moors, the manure from the grazing animals is visibly increasing the topsoil layer over the rocky substrate. Ruminants build soil and are sustainable. Beans and grains are not good for the environment and grains in particular are really bad for me and for one of my children.

I despair when 37 experts can be bought in this way!!
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

I've not read this yet, but just found this link to the Sustainable Food Trust and their opinion on the EAT-LANCET food recommendations.

https://sustainablefoodtrust.org/art...od-production/
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

And here's a response from the European Food Agency...I suspect there will be many more like it.

https://www.efanews.eu/item/6053-the...-campaign.html

One thing that is becoming apparent to me is that there is a lot of money behind the plant-based/vegan movement.

It really, really boils my piss!!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

In my second link, the section headed Shapshifting is particularly disturbing. It also makes me see how manipulative agencies and "interested people" are behind the current vegan movement.

This EAT thing may be nutritionally deficient, by the same token, it may actually be better than a junk food or subsistence diet, I think. Just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    It really, really boils my piss!!
    Go on, say what you really think Mat
    My mind is like my PC screen: 19 tabs open on the top bar, 3 of them are frozen, 25 half written emails on the bottom bar, and I have no idea where the music is coming from...

Lovely expression...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah(sjc) View Post
    Lovely expression...
    It brings up all sorts of delightful images...

I'm in a FB low carb downunder forum where there has been a lot of scathing commentary on the vegan agenda, and one of the admins did what I call a nanny post about not attacking other people's way of eating. Incredibly there are some low carb vegans. I don't think they were attacking vegans as such, people can chose what they put in their mouths, but the way a tiny percentage (one article quoted 1%) trying to dictate how the other 99% MUST eat.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.