Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: The EAT Lancet diet is nutritionally deficient

  1. #11

    Default

    I heard this discussed on Radio 4 when I was in the car on the way to work yesterday. There was a supporter of the report and a British farmer who produces grass fed meat on his medium sized farm. He made a very good point. He said that his animals live on grass which sequesters some of their emissions whereas the report seems to be encouraging the consumption of pigs and poultry which have been raised intensively. He could not accept that intensive pig and poultry units were better for the environment than his grazing flock and herd. Good for him I thought, but arrived at work and could not listen to the end of the discussion.

    Our uplands have been grazed for millennia and we need to keep that going. You cannot grow beans and grains in moorland environment. If you tried you would destroy the topsoil entirely, whereas it is obvious if you look at Dartmoor or the North York Moors, the manure from the grazing animals is visibly increasing the topsoil layer over the rocky substrate. Ruminants build soil and are sustainable. Beans and grains are not good for the environment and grains in particular are really bad for me and for one of my children.

    I despair when 37 experts can be bought in this way!!
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

  2. #12
    Club Member grumbleweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    a city in the West Country
    Posts
    11,417

    Default

    I've not read this yet, but just found this link to the Sustainable Food Trust and their opinion on the EAT-LANCET food recommendations.

    https://sustainablefoodtrust.org/art...od-production/
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

  3. #13
    Club Member grumbleweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    a city in the West Country
    Posts
    11,417

    Default

    And here's a response from the European Food Agency...I suspect there will be many more like it.

    https://www.efanews.eu/item/6053-the...-campaign.html

    One thing that is becoming apparent to me is that there is a lot of money behind the plant-based/vegan movement.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

  4. #14

    Default

    It really, really boils my piss!!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

  5. #15
    Club Member grumbleweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    a city in the West Country
    Posts
    11,417

    Default

    In my second link, the section headed Shapshifting is particularly disturbing. It also makes me see how manipulative agencies and "interested people" are behind the current vegan movement.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

  6. #16
    Club Plus Member Sarah(sjc)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    16,986

    Default

    This EAT thing may be nutritionally deficient, by the same token, it may actually be better than a junk food or subsistence diet, I think. Just a thought!

  7. #17
    SuperMember 2014-19 Lindam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    11,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    It really, really boils my piss!!
    Go on, say what you really think Mat
    My mind is like my PC screen: 19 tabs open on the top bar, 3 of them are frozen, 25 half written emails on the bottom bar, and I have no idea where the music is coming from...

  8. #18
    Club Plus Member Sarah(sjc)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    16,986

    Default

    Lovely expression...

  9. #19
    Club Member grumbleweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    a city in the West Country
    Posts
    11,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah(sjc) View Post
    Lovely expression...
    It brings up all sorts of delightful images...
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

  10. #20
    Super Member roseymary's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    12,923

    Default


    I'm in a FB low carb downunder forum where there has been a lot of scathing commentary on the vegan agenda, and one of the admins did what I call a nanny post about not attacking other people's way of eating. Incredibly there are some low carb vegans. I don't think they were attacking vegans as such, people can chose what they put in their mouths, but the way a tiny percentage (one article quoted 1%) trying to dictate how the other 99% MUST eat.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO