Thread: Type 1 Diabetes Article

There's potentially hope.

Florence love your photo you look fantastic.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Thank you Rosemary. I’m feeling pretty good since I came back to THD. X

It looks like there may be hope. There’s diabetes in my family and I know the harm it can do. Thankfully I’m not affected by it.

Default Prevention is better than cure.

But wouldn't it be more sensible to prevent your child developing Type I diabetes in the first place rather than pinning your hopes on a stem cell treatment?

We know from this study
    Intake of vitamin D and risk of type 1 diabetes: a birth-cohort study
    that 2000iu daily Vitamin d3 from birth and throughout the first year, that up to 80% incidence of Type I is preventable if we keep babies vitamin d levels optimal.

If immediately a child is suspected of developing Type 1 diabetes they are lucky enough to get high dose vitamin d3 treatment we know that can slow the progression of the condition.
    Cholecalciferol supplementation improves suppressive capacity of regulatoryT-cells in young patients with new-onset type 1 diabetes mellitus a randomized clinical trial

If mothers took 10,000iu daily vitamin d3 before conception and throughout pregnancy and lactation babies would be born with a lower risk of developing Type I and would not require vitamin d supplements until weaning from breastmilk (Vitamin d naturally flows in breastmilk if mother is taking 6400 iu or more daily vitamin d3.
    Dr Coimbra, who uses high dose daily vitamin d3 to reverse symptoms or stop progression of autoimmune conditions' is also keen to reduce incidence of preventable conditions such as Type I and Autism and recommends 1000iu daily for each 5kg bodyweight for children about 90iu daily per pound.

Vitamin D requires the presence of magnesium to ensure it's retention and activation and most of us eating modern industrially processed/refined foods would benefit from 100 mg elemental magnesium with each meal and before bed.

That's so interesting Ted, I had zero idea there were ways to potentially prevent a child developing type 1 diabetes. I always thought it was just one of those unfortunate happenings.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Mainstream doctors seem afraid of Vit D supplementation, especially anything above the Recommended Daily Allowance. They think it’s toxic, I suppose. Thanks to your posts, Ted, I take 5,000IU D3 daily, whether I’m in the Florida sunshine or the wintry northeast USA (along with MK-7, and Mg Glycinate). I’m always hesitant to admit it to my doctor when I have to fill out the forms for my annual physical exams (listing all medicines and supplements) because I don’t have the desire nor energy to enter into a debate about nutrition with a GP!

Vit D3 has so many benefits!
    It is said that truth passes through 3 stages: First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, its accepted as being self-evident.

That was interesting Ted, thank you. I noticed the control group were given vegetable oil - I do hope it didn't do damage in its own right!
    Gilli - DLTBGYD