Thread: "Fad diets" getting a good rap

Default "Fad diets" getting a good rap

Unfortunately VLCD reviewed in the same bundle as LCHF, keto and paleo.

NEWS.com.au: Paleo diet, Keto diet: Fad dieting trends that actually help weight loss.
    https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...303d63737b779e
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

That seemed to be a pretty good round up of some popular diets. A nice find RM, thank you.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

I posted this link on the low carb downunder face book page. One member claimed VLCD works then went onto prove it didn't.

From personal experience I can say that VLCDs work extremely well for morbidly obese people. I managed to lose 54kgs and get to my goal weight in 13 months without feeling hunger (I did the VLCD low carb). The problem, as the article mentions, is that the VLCD doesn't do so well at teaching you how to keep the weight off. In my case I kept the weight off for a couple of years but then gained it all back + more.

I am now eating LCHF/Keto and while the weight loss is much slower, keeping the weight off should be much more achievable since I am eating what I will need to eat to maintain the weight loss - i.e. real food.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Club Member

I also thought it was a very clear overview.

There are some conclusions I can relate to e.g. Keto (which I lean towards) "In real life, achieving these ratios (5%, 20%, 75%) in your diet is somewhat challenging but if you can, and do follow it, it will work very effectively". I think very often there are people who confuse keto and low carb diets (I did this initially), there is a fine dividing line between the two, then people wonder why they do not lose weight.

I also liked her last paragraph about those following a low carb diet (not keto) having difficulties when "high carb foods are reintroduced, weight tends to be rapidly regained and becomes more and more difficult to lose in subsequent attempts."

This hit a cord, in that I think we have seen this happen with a few people who have been members, who having stuck to Zoe's rules re fat/carb meals in P1 and 2 returned to introducing some heavy carbs as cheat/treats, thinking they were doing P3 but not really understanding P3 rules https://theharcombediet.com/home/phase-3/ of "Do not cheat too much", "Do not cheat too often" and then struggled to get the body to give up the gain.

I can struggle if I attempt to add back any healthier P3 cheats e.g. nuts which are a real food but the carb ratio is too high for me.

I cannot comment on the other eating plans mentioned.

Way back when, the only dietician I ever listened to told me the secret to maintaining a long-term "diet" (we were talking about chronic things like celiac or diabetes -- long before I became a diabetic myself) was controlling how you cheat. She told me that her recommendation to her patients was that they could have 6 "cheat" days a year.

Her rules were:
    1. Pick your cheat days (she recommended things like Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries) and write them down. Try to spread them evenly through the year, so about every 2 months.

2. When you get a craving or feel a need to cheat, write down what you're craving, and tell yourself you'll have that on your next cheat day.

3. When your cheat day comes around, look at the list and laugh. Then have whatever *moderate* cheat you want, even if it's not on the list. Do NOT eat everything on the list whether you still want it or not.

Club Member

That is a good approach. I like it very much.
    One would have to decide which birthdays/anniversaries otherwise one would be back to a cheat day every week.