Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cholesterolin the news again

Default Cholesterolin the news again

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47226777

Not sure if this is the same as the item Jacqui just referred to - but suggests everyone should see their doc for a health check. Is this simply so docs have more opportunity to push statins and BP meds in place of healthy real food??

I read as far as the guy who had a heart attack at 37 saying he immediately gave up smoking... But that's not the object of this piece, so was mentioned in passing, when actually it's probably the biggest risk factor bar none!

GRRRRRRRRR

Why would knowing your numbers help save your life anyway unless you were constantly monitoring those figures? It’s just turning us into a nation of hypochondriacs and as we know, knowing those numbers doesn’t give any real benefit to the state of our health.

Club Member

Yes, that's the same one, Sarah. It be a case of misreporting as I haven't read the paper... but neither will the public, who will see this stupidity being pushed by the media as OK, because it was on the BBC.

I think it's a good idea to know blood pressure, and some of the recommendations are good common sense points... but the rest, wanting to test cholesterol levels (apparently by themselves and not in context of anything) and prescribe more statins seems, to me, to be appallingly bad practice.

I live in Jersey, so I reckon uptake won't be so high, purely because we pay £40 for a doctor's visit, and more for blood tests, etc. (That doesn't stop our obesity problem, which is catching up with the UK.)

It seems to me that there is a concerted effort to push statins just now - a lot of pro reports being drip fed into the system at regular intervals. Or am I being a conspiracy theorist?

I was interested in the way Justin Webb introduced the cholesterol pieces in the review of papers on the Today programme. He said sometimes we get pieces saying statins are bad and at others that they’re good - today they’re bad. I wondered if it was a subtle way of suggesting today’s stories should/could be questioned....

Ooh, I was obviously up by the time that item came up!

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
    I was interested in the way Justin Webb introduced the cholesterol pieces in the review of papers on the Today programme. He said sometimes we get pieces saying statins are bad and at others that they’re good - today they’re bad. I wondered if it was a subtle way of suggesting today’s stories should/could be questioned....
    I think I was out by then (they do the papers at 20 to 7 and 8ish?), so I'll go back and listen to that. Can you remember when-ish that piece was on?

I think it was the 6.40ish one or could have been the first one at c6.10am...

Default We're not patients any more, we're potential revenue

Blood pressure is a variable. And the level at which it is now "hypertension" and MUST be treated has been steadily dropping. As has the "normal" level for cholesterol.

It's very hard to see this as anything other than a revenue gathering scheme by the pharmaceutical companies. And in the US by doctors -- especially ones who are in pay for performance schemes.

One of the many iniquities of the US medical industry is the current practice of insurance companies paying doctors more for sicker patients. An insurance company will pay a doctor a small $ monthly amount (plus claims) for every patient with their insurance on his/her panel, they use a sliding scale so the more chronic problems you have, the more money the doctor gets. The standard claim form for a doctor's visit has 25 boxes for ICD-10 diagnoses. Now don't tell me this doesn't lead to over-diagnosis.

However, if you're not thin as a rail, whatever you go to the doctor about the main problem is that you're overweight.
    Hit by a bus? Well if you weren't a fatty-fat-fatty you'd have been agile enough to dodge.
    Ebola? Caused by obesity

OK... I'll stop now before I get into complete rant mode.

I think you've definitely got a point Hugh.