Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go Vegan Because

Default Go Vegan Because

...of mass exploitation of animals, not because eating them is wrong.
    Interesting...and thought provoking...article in The Conversation.
    I think most people may reduce consumption on that basis...in return for better, more humane treatment of those animals raised for our sustenance. That's where our research...and funding... should go...not in trying to convert the human race to a diet that has been shown to be less than optimal for many.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

TBH, I am rapidly comingto the conclusion that before we take any radical steps with diet and food production etc, we should tackle the colossal and frankly obscene amounts we waste. However, I suspect that this is not a sexy enough cause for most!

I think we are getting a bit better with food waste..that's coming from the perspective of seeing so many supermarkets donating excess as opposed to filling huge dumpsters with it. But food waste in the home is I think a huge problem. I've done all my cupboards this week, and I'm ashamed of the amount I've gotten rid of. I should know better!
    How do we stop the public from buying so much? There's just too damn much temptation to start with.

I've been making a conscious effort to waste less. Which mostly means menu planning and shopping for the plan in my case. I have a bad habit of buying a load of produce because it looks good, then not eating it. It ends up going bad and getting composted. I should perhaps buy more frozen veg. as that won't go bad -- the trick there is finding stuff that hasn't been adulterated with "sauce".

My sins are bagged salads and bread (family’s, not mine). And pretty much anything bought because it was a bargain, or because it seemed like a good idea at the time. Frozen peas, broad beans, mushrooms, berries etc feature heavily I. My freezer, frozen chillies are great, as is fresh ginger (grate it frozen, skin and all, and put it back in the freezer), frozen peppers work well in chillis. Plus I batch freeze things in individual portions, chilli, curry, cottage pie, spaghetti Bol etc

My sins are "interesting" ingredients that I know I'll use. I either use them once...or not at all because I'm *saving* them. I thrn forget about them. I should never look at the exotic ingredients in tkMaxx.
    I also have "gee, I should eat more veggies " moments...I should know by now I won't.
    Thank goodness for freezers when I see meat offers.

It took me years to stop catering for a family of four and realise that thereís only two of us most of the time.
    Iím also guilty on the bagged salad and bread (again not mine) Sarah. Also iím married to a nutcase who is obsessed with sell by dates. Iíve had all the scientific arguments with him but he reckons that if itís there itís for a reason. Perversely, he also admits that if it didnít have a date on heíd use his own judgement. Mad.

Scrub the dates off...

OH bought crayfish close to sell by last week, don’t think I will even give them to the cat now... I know there’s houmous and gravadlax that need eating, and I’m in London all day Sunday - they were bought for daughter, who went back to uni this morning...

I am in the "what use by date?" camp - we've been known to buy milk "reduced to clear" on the day before the use by date, not open it for a week and it is still absolutely fine. Which probably says more to what they do to process milk here than anything else.

The other thing I don't take any notice of is the "use within three days of opening" malarkey - if it smells OK and tastes OK we'll eat it.
    Sue - the first "no thank you" is the easiest