Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Now itís the turn of blood pressure drugs

Default Now itís the turn of blood pressure drugs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47488249

Donít get me wrong, I have high blood pressure and take meds, and I know itís very strongly associated with CV disease. What I thoroughly object to is the (Oxford Uni) guy saying more people should be taking more meds and sooner, and diismissing lifestyle and diet changes out of hand!

Thereís a pill for everything, and weíll sell you it! Interesting to know his conflicts!

It's enough to raise BP!!!!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their Ďtoleranceí

They’ll only be happy when we’re all rattling.

Does treating high blood pressure do any good?

While I think it's possible that having a lower blood pressure is probably better than having high BP I'm not convinced that drug BP lowering is the answer.

If your blood pressure medication is works by sparing potassium, keeping it in the body for longer, wouldn't it be better to ensure your potassium intake was nearer the Potassium RDA.
    Potassium, your invisible friend

Most modern industrially intensively grown and processed foods have less magnesium than previous generations enjoyed. Most of us don't nip out into the garden to pick our spinach 5 minutes before we cook it though it's easy enough to grow.
    The effect of magnesium supplementation on blood pressure in individuals with insulin resistance, prediabetes, or noncommunicable chronic diseases

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Magnesium for the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease
    Last edited by TedHutchinson; 8th March 2019 at 09:35 AM.

I have just followed the links to the heart age quiz and found that my heart age is 62, re-assuringly close to my actual age!! However, my BP was 123[/75] this morning which I thought was fabulously good but the quiz thinks should be below 120mmHg systolic pressure. So clearly I am a candidate for medication. Also, horror of horrors "As you do not know your cholesterold score!!! You must go and get it tested immediately" - they want the worried well to put more pressure on the NHS then!
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Thanks for the info Ted. Will enjoy reading your links.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Quote Originally Posted by Gilli View Post
    I have just followed the links to the heart age quiz and found that my heart age is 62, re-assuringly close to my actual age!! However, my BP was 123[/75] this morning which I thought was fabulously good but the quiz thinks should be below 120mmHg systolic pressure. So clearly I am a candidate for medication. Also, horror of horrors "As you do not know your cholesterold score!!! You must go and get it tested immediately" - they want the worried well to put more pressure on the NHS then!
    Carbohydrates & Cardiovascular disease

Diabetes, Cholesterol, BP: Normal is no longer normal
    Blood pressure

Blood pressure is the same. Here is a journal article with a couple of very interesting graphs – open up figure 1 and figure 2. Figure 1 is the higher number when you have your blood pressure reading (the 140 in 140/90 kind of thing). This shows that the normal blood pressure range for the general population is anywhere from 90 to 240 as the top number, with 130 being the most common reading (mode) and the average (mean) being around 140.

Figure 2 is the lower number (the 90 in the 140/90) and this ranges from 50 to 130. The most common is around 85 and the average is around 90. So the true average blood pressure (BP) in the normal population is approximately 140/90. You may be aware that 140/90 is the definition of high BP. Yet again, normal has become high and now everyone who is deemed high shall be medicated, when they are in fact normal.

I bet you can guess who wrote the quoted section above without clicking the link.

I just did the heart age test but put don't know on blood pressure and cholesterol. I came in at "about" 2 years older than my actual age. It tells me that that means I could probably live to about 84 without a problem with my heart. It also says that if I lower both unknown counts I'll get my heart age down.
    If I don't know my BP or cholesterol how can they know it needs lowering (I happen to know that my BP is the low side of normal and is very consistent - apparently and my cholesterol is OK.)
    I'll be happy if I get to 84 with all my faculties. I'm more bothered about my marbles going that my heart conking out.

Quote Originally Posted by TedHutchinson View Post
    Carbohydrates & Cardiovascular disease

Diabetes, Cholesterol, BP: Normal is no longer normal

I bet you can guess who wrote the quoted section above without clicking the link.
    I've read that before Ted. Its a crime.

I just did the test, and it gave me a heart age of 75...I'm 71. I can expect to live until 86 without a heart incident.
    I fibbed though...I took BP medication when I was pregnant 34 years ago. I also smoked briefly..about 6 cigarettes a week. That was 40 years ago. I'm sure their version of smoking is a pack at least per day for 10 years or more.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.