Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now itís the turn of blood pressure drugs

Quote Originally Posted by grumbleweed View Post
    I just did the test, and it gave me a heart age of 75...I'm 71. I can expect to live until 86 without a heart incident.
    I fibbed though...I took BP medication when I was pregnant 34 years ago. I also smoked briefly..about 6 cigarettes a week. That was 40 years ago. I'm sure their version of smoking is a pack at least per day for 10 years or more.
    GW the question was definitely "do you smoke" or "are you a smoker" rather than "have you ever smoked" [courtesy pedants anonymous] Good to hear you will live until 86 without a cardiac event, but as Mamie said above
    I'll be happy if I get to 84 with all my faculties. I'm more bothered about my marbles going that my heart conking out.
    it really does seem more important to have one's marbles if longevity is to be regarded as a good thing!
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Quote Originally Posted by TedHutchinson View Post
    Carbohydrates & Cardiovascular disease

Diabetes, Cholesterol, BP: Normal is no longer normal

I bet you can guess who wrote the quoted section above without clicking the link.
    My guess is that the writier was Zoe. Going to click the link now!
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Quote Originally Posted by TedHutchinson View Post
    Carbohydrates & Cardiovascular disease

Diabetes, Cholesterol, BP: Normal is no longer normal

I bet you can guess who wrote the quoted section above without clicking the link.
    Yep. I remember reading it.

I also remember the days when your BP was allowed to rise as you aged the systolic being calculated as 100+age in years (-10 for women). So at age 68, when my PCP is shocked that my BP is 150/90 I'm pretty much OK with it. Especially as it has dropped quite a bit in the last few weeks. I ran out of meds in January, around the time I started THD. At first my BP was quite high -- 180/110 was the highest. But now, in week 7, I'm getting numbers of around 145/85. So while I let my PCP write me new BP meds prescriptions, I don't think I'll be taking them for long.

Furthermore, BP is a variable. Just because it's 150/90 in the doctor's office doesn't mean it's always 150/90.

Then there's cholesterol. Normal total cholesterol used to be 240 - 280 mg/dL When she was in her 50s, my mum had a total cholesterol around 400 so they put her in the hospital on a pre-statin drug and a cholesterol-free diet and her serum cholesterol went up. They accused her of cheating! She lived to her early 90s, despite that, finally succumbing to Parkinson's.

One of the problems that I see in current medical practice is what I refer to as the mechanical model of human physiology. Everyone is supposed to have their measurable bio-markers fall into an increasingly narrow range. We're all supposed to eat the same number of calories of a "plant-based" diet with lots of "healthy whole grains", our BP, blood glucose, and cholesterol must be in the approved zones. Doctors are becoming mechanics -- tuning everyone according to the manual, as if we were cars.

It's a load of bovine excrement, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamie View Post
    I just did the heart age test but put don't know on blood pressure and cholesterol. I came in at "about" 2 years older than my actual age. It tells me that that means I could probably live to about 84 without a problem with my heart. It also says that if I lower both unknown counts I'll get my heart age down.
    If I don't know my BP or cholesterol how can they know it needs lowering (I happen to know that my BP is the low side of normal and is very consistent - apparently and my cholesterol is OK.)
    I'll be happy if I get to 84 with all my faculties. I'm more bothered about my marbles going that my heart conking out.
    It said my heart age was 95 and gave me 10 more years before I croak. Interestingly, losing weight and lowering my BP had no effect on the age they gave my heart, while lowering cholesterol only lowered my heart age to 92 and added 4 years till D-day

I call #FakeNews

There’s not much hope for you Hugh. ����

Quote Originally Posted by Mamie View Post
    There’s not much hope for you Hugh. ����
    Nope. I'm a hopeless case. People have been telling me that for years.