Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DEATH OF THE CALORIE (from The Economist)

Default DEATH OF THE CALORIE (from The Economist)

Death of the calorie
    Peter Wilson is a freelance writer based in London. He lost 13kg in four months thanks to what he learned researching this story

While this is a topic Zoe had covered many times in detail it's good to see it getting covered again.

Fascinating. Thanks for posting

I beat you to it, Ted...lol
    I posted that several weeks ago. It's a very readable, and fascinating article.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Thanks Ted. Its a good one!!
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

I read this article some months ago and thought it was fantastic at the time. Definitely needs to become mainstream.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

I spent most of yesterday in airports and read this then. It's an excellent article until just before the end when it bigs up Weight Watchers for apparently being the only ones to apply the truth.

Yes, hardly counts as "the death of the calorie" if you just end up counting points instead. And can't you increase your "Points Allowance" by exercise??
    Sue - the first "no thank you" is the easiest

Thanks for sharing Ted! I must have missed this article last time we were alerted to it.

The author of that article, Peter Wilson, was interviewed on an hour-long National Public Radio talk show here in the USA a couple of days ago, along with Susan Roberts, professor of nutrition and psychiatry at Tufts University in Boston. The journalist had a better grasp of good nutrition than the nutrition professor!

Have a listen here

I would have liked to see some references at the end of his excellently written piece. He’s a good speaker too, btw. I wonder if he’d read The Obesity Epidemic while researching the article?
    It is said that truth passes through 3 stages: First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, itís accepted as being self-evident.

But not having read her book, “The “i” Diet”, I might be judging her too soon.

I just wasn’t as impressed with her radio interview as I was with his.
    It is said that truth passes through 3 stages: First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, itís accepted as being self-evident.