Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The diets cutting one in five lives short every year

Default The diets cutting one in five lives short every year

Blame everything except the elephant in the room (fast food, fake food and drink). It's not the lack of the items listed but too much of what isn't mentioned.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-47734296
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!

Stop it RM! Where do they get this stuff?
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Just madness... seriously makes my blood boil.
    Embraced THD - got a way to go yet, but loving it!

Club Member

I read a summary early this morning and it stated that it was not about obesity but the poor quality of food that is being eaten i.e. highly processed, high salt, high sugar rather than quantity. So if one takes out the poor quality food then one is left with good real food where the quantity is not so much cause for concern.

The article is utter b*ll*cks... sorry. Not enough whole grains or fruit??? I know THD isn't veg-centric, but personally, I find the absolute best thing for my health is locally grown veg in season, and lots of it - green stuff mainly, but also root veggies. And vegetables don't even rate a mention! Also, I am completely fed up with the salt police - even my cottage cheese has so little these days, I have to add it in. Salt is essential, yet they seem to want us to have none!

Gilli - I'm working on the fore warned is fore armed. Need to know what junk we're up against.

And a much more sensible article. Wonder if the Deakin research prompted the first article.

9Coach: One in five deaths around the world is down to a bad diet, study concludes.
    https://coach.nine.com.au/2019/04/04...s-lancet-study

Yea, that junk showed up in my news feed this morning.

"Recommended" amount of amount of red meat per day 22g? (goes to calculator.... that's 3/4 ounce!) Even the ADA allows 1 ounce of meat (as a "protein" source) each meal so that's 3 ounces (85g) per day.

The only days I eat that little (85g) of red meat are the days I eat fish. At least twice a week.

Who do they seriously think will eat 22 g of red meat at a sitting?
    If whole grains and fruit are so good for us why do they make so many (me included) feel really bloated and in pain. Why do I feel completely at ease with my digestive system after years of pain and discomfort after following the whole grain mantra. I'm not even very good with a lot of veggies.

This story has been all over the news here too. The wording of the news story makes the assumption that everyone knows what a "healthy diet" is, which is where the problem lies!
    It is said that truth passes through 3 stages: First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, itís accepted as being self-evident.