Thread: One upside of BREXIT

Default One upside of BREXIT

People in the UK can ignore these quite daft rulings, I don't think it was an April fools day thing.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/euro...05-p51b1r.html
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

I think that is a good ruling and one of the more sensible ideas coming from the EU.

The vegans should not get to call their 'textured soy protein isolate cylinders' sausages!

Protection of food names is important - Parma ham should come from parma - Cheddar should come from cheddar etc.

Straight bananas and cucumbers was a stupid rule, but this one I actually agree with!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

But cheddar doesn't come from cheddar - its now also a specific cheese making process - hence Canadian and other sorts of cheddar!

And I'm not sure why there should be more outrage about quorn sausages that about traditional Glamorgan sausage.

And I have been up since 3.50am, so I may have misconstrued - going to get some kip now...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah(sjc) View Post
    But cheddar doesn't come from cheddar - its now also a specific cheese making process - hence Canadian and other sorts of cheddar!

And I'm not sure why there should be more outrage about quorn sausages that about traditional Glamorgan sausage.

And I have been up since 3.50am, so I may have misconstrued - going to get some kip now...
    Ok - Cheddar was a bad choice!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

How about champagne? That's both a process and a region of origin, IIRC.

The there's soy(a) milk. That's not milk.

I'm (almost) prepared to give almond milk a pass, as there are extant medieval recipes for it. I have other issues with it -- like the ecological deserts that California almond orchards are. They have to ship in bees because there's nothing for the bees to live on there except for a couple of weeks while the almonds are in bloom. I'm not too keen on the amount of processing it requires either.

I think those are the types of scenario that the “Veganism will save the planet” brigade either don’t realise or chose to ignore, Hugh.

The whole world wants more detail when buying food, especially packaged foods which we all buy from time to time, back to the vegan theme, if we don't use animals for meat and eating what will the human race do with all the redundant creatures who will need to be fed as well as the human race. will they let the animals take their share of veggie? i don't think so.

Good point Edmund.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

It’s a major flaw in the vegan argument imo Edmund. I live in a part of the country which is basically hills and moorland. The “crop” is sheep and cattle. We couldn’t grow any major contribution to a plant based diet and neither would we want to. Peat moorland may look barren to some eyes but it plays a crucial role in the ecosystem of this is island. We interfere with this at our peril. If farmers could no longer rear animals it would surely result in a major cull. Anyone who can remember the horrors of the last major foot and mouth epidemic would not want to revisit that.