Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooking Oils - Which one is best for your health?

Thanks Sarah. I love the crispy duck skin too. I have book marked this page.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Thanks for the recipe Sarah. Confit is one of our favourites and we usually stock up on tinned if we go to France. We are currently down to our last tin.

I don't understand the fuss about goose and duck fat, unless its because their relative lack of flavour is seen as a good thing. I much prefer beef dripping, and always miss the taste of butter if roast potatoes have been done in pure goose fat.

I've come round to coconut oil recently, especially if mixed with something else like butter.

Not really liking duck, I guess I like the fat because it is neutral. It does make great roast potatoes (not that they are often on the menu) but I prefer butter for parsnips, and oil for other veg, not that I have tried these using anything else...

Thanks for the recipe Sarah, I can buy duck breasts so may try that method.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

I don’t think they do have a neutral taste. Maybe because I tend to save the fat from around confited duck so it’s a bit like the poultry equivalent of dripping.
    I like coconut oil in things like curry or stir fries. I just think it’s another Asian influence.

When I have cooked the confit, and poured off the fat to save, the little bits of caramelised juices stuck to the dish are absolutely gorgeous, well worth the effort of scraping off with and eating off a knife. Just so disappointing the flesh isn’t the same!

i fry my bacon and eggs everyday in unsalted butter, can risk salt might raise my blood pressure again lol