Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Oils - Which one is best for your health?

Default Cooking Oils - Which one is best for your health?

Sadly they presume that oil is better than fat before they even start to answer the question. This offering in the Times makes me think that people are considering the role of fats in the diet in a more sensible way, but they are still sticking with the diet heart hypothesis and recommend limited use of lard. Sigh!!!

If I can work up the energy later I may post in the comments section.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

So I'll stick to lard, butter ad olive oil and duck fat when I can get it. And [email protected]#$%r minimal use of animal fats.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

I still have some goose fat from Christmas in the freezer RM. I regard that and duck fat as the best ever cooking fat.

When I was getting duck carcases from Coombe Farm to go in the stock pot I was able to save the duck fat which rendered off from those. Sadly, their deliveries were unreliable and I decided to look for a more local supplier of broth/stock pot ingredients where I can get chicken carcases but not duck. OH does not like duck to eat, so it is a rare treat for me.

Duck fat is my favourite, beef dripping if you can get it then goose fat. Yum.

Sorry, meant to say how does Aseem get through so much oil everyday? I can go for days without using any. I don’t particularly like the taste of olive oil.

Club Member

I have beef dripping in the fridge, occasionally hubby has a problem buying it. Also butter, OO, chicken fat scrapped off the top of the jelly stock.

Mamie I think from memory that he has a tablespoon or so on it's own.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

There's a farmer's market near me every 1st Saturday of the month and a guy sells grass fed beef, bones and beef dripping. Unfortunately I forgot the dripping yesterday.

Luckily there's a farm shop in Clipston-On-The Wolds a few miles away which also sell it.

I'm currently drinking coffee with ghee and coconut oil.

Sounds good Stephen.

Duck and goose fat are excellent, even though I don’t like duck itself. Gilli, I do this recipe for OH, works well with just two duck legs, and renders out a lovely lot of fat to do other things with. You can eat the cooked legs straight away, or reheat them later, or even eat them cold, but then you lose the crispy skin (even I like that)!
    https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/easy_duck_confit/