Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHO pull support from EAT-Lancet

Default WHO pull support from EAT-Lancet

I can only read the summary but it seems good news.

https://www.bmj.com/content/365/bmj.l1700.full
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Seems like great news, RM.
    Great find
    Trust the process, the results will come

Club Member

If correct that is good for all except vegans and strict vegetarians.

A bit of common sense wins through.

I think it is good news on the whole and a step in the right direction. I wish I could read the whole article, but I am not willing to pay £23 to have access to it for a day.

Christine, I am not sure that the withdrawal of support affects vegans and vegetarians in any way. There is nothing to prevent them from doing their thing it is merely that a plant based diet is not being pushed quite so hard at the omnivores and carnivores among us.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

I’m not paying either, but it seems that it’s pulled support for economic reasons (farming jobs?) as much as for health reasons. But whatever the reason, it’s good they have done it (Machiavelli - the end justifies the means). It’s a shame it’s not been made clear that such a diet can lead to malnutrition from lack of micronutrients - another reason why calories don’t count!

OOooh - I love having an Open Athens Account!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Cornado warned that a global move to such a diet could lead to the loss of millions of jobs linked to animal husbandry and the production of “unhealthy” foods, and destroy traditional diets which are part of cultural heritage.

The initiative “urging for a centralised control of our dietary choices” risked “the total elimination of consumers’ freedom of choice,” he added.
    From the full article.
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

And this:

The letter, seen by The BMJ and dated 20 March, says that “a standard diet for the whole planet” regardless of the age, sex, general state of health, and eating habits “has no scientific justification at all” and “would mean the destruction of millenary healthy traditional diets which are a full part of the cultural heritage and social harmony in many nations.”

The dietary regime advised by the commission “is also nutritionally deficient and therefore dangerous to human health” and “would certainly lead to economic depression, especially in developing countries,” said Cornado.