Thread: No a single mention in this BBC article about top soil erosion about cattle

Default No a single mention in this BBC article about top soil erosion about cattle

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48043134

I agree that we need more trees, essentially forests but where is the research about the advantages of ruminants with regards to top soil. A glaring ommision in my view.

Nor surprising given the seeming bias of Aunty towards vegan, anything that promotes the benefits of animal husbandry in sequestering CO2 wont get mention.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

And no mention of my pet peeve - the fact that every wind turbine erected requires the pouring of millions of tons of concrete into the soil (often moorland peat). Its not the simple solution that many would have us believe.
    They seem to have forgotten the terrible tragedy of the American dust bowl of the 1930's. We forget the lessons of history at our peril.

I heard George Monbiot and another person (female - but I missed her name) being interviewed on Radio 4 this morning whilst travelling to work. I wanted to scream!! He was totally fixated on vegetarian diets being the solution and even though the woman tried to put the argument for grazing ruminants and "how do you grow enough vegetable protein without destroying more land?" she was horribly ineffective and kept agreeing with him that a plant based diet was a good thing!! Aaaarrrrggghhh!
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Glad I missed that Gillli!

Mami interested point of view on wind turbines I hadn't though of the concrete element before

I live in the shadow of a large wind farm on the western side of the Pennines. I did a lot of research when they were at the planning stage and I came down firmly of the opinion that they aren't ecologically sound. Before that I had no opinion either way and have to admit to quite liking the look of them. I could write an essay.

what happens to all of the animals if we become veggie, pets? euthanasia? extinction?

My husband came up with the idea of giving every vegan a cow or pig to look after - like a pet. See how long before the novelty wears off.

Love that idea Mamie, not to mention sheep, chickens, ducks, turkeys. Fill the rivers with redundant trout, and watch out for illicit midnight fishing by closet omnivores. Then we all get sick and watch the planet turn to dust, or mud depending on rainfall.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.