Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating processed foods leads to weight gain... (Who knew??)

Default Eating processed foods leads to weight gain... (Who knew??)

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...h-study-2019-5

It's only a small study -- 20 participants & 4 weeks -- but it was actually rather well constructed:
    For the study, Hall did something unusual: he put human participants into a hyper-controlled laboratory setting, where they ate all their meals in isolation for 28 days under strict medical observation. All the while, scientists measured changes in the participants' insulin sensitivity, appetite, glucose, and a host of other metabolic and physical measurements.

Researchers at the Bethesda Metabolic Clinical Research Unit enrolled just 10 men and 10 women into the study, feeding the participants both ultra-processed and fresh diets in two week increments.
    Additionally, both diets were matched:
    The patients' diets were precisely matched, so that regardless of whether people were offered processed or unprocessed meals, they were given exactly the same amount of protein, fat, carbs, salt, and sugar to eat. Participants were instructed to eat as much food as they liked within allotted 60-minute meal windows. They spent two weeks eating a processed diet, and then switched and did two more weeks eating fresh meals.
    So for once, we might actually have some real data. And what's more it supports one of the basic tenets of THD -- Just Eat Real Food.

Awesome. Nice find Hugh, thank you.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

I remember watching a program about a big food company's research department "engineering" a new product. Marketing came up with the idea and they had to create a priduct with the perfect bliss point.

So presumably most manufactured food had been through a similar process to make it ultra pleasurable and palatable. Hence the tendency to over eat so readily.

Great find Hugh.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Club Member

I saw the same headline yesterday and thought tell me something new.

The detail of the study as Hugh has given us was not mentioned.

Maybe Kevin Hall has been converted to the idea that it's not all about calories?
    Photos of the meals eaten both processed and unprocessed are here
    It may take a while to download as there are quite a few.
    As you can imagine the unprocessed REAL FOOD meals look larger and more appetising.
    I suspect many people would find it difficult to eat all the food provided in the unprocessed meals but would easily finish most of the processed food options.
    full text downloads from here.

Ultra-Processed Diets Cause Excess Calorie Intake and Weight Gain: An Inpatient Randomized Controlled Trial of Ad Libitum Food Intake

The weekly cost for ingredients to prepare 2,000 kcal/day of ultra-processed meals was estimated to be $106 versus $151 for the unprocessed meals as calculated using the cost of ingredients obtained from a local branch of a large supermarket chain.
    I'm surprised it would cost so much more to eat unprocessed meals.
    I suppose that is partly because I've a vegetable garden and grow a lot of my own and haven't bought much processed food recently as we mostly cook from basic ingredients and we don't snack between meals. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that it's the kids from poorer homes that are more likely to be obese. Children from poorer backgrounds more affected by rise in childhood obesity
    Last edited by TedHutchinson; 17th May 2019 at 01:11 PM.

Thanks for the pictures Ted. To me the amount of food seemed vast on both regimes and I think I'd have lot weight on the ultra processed as it looked so very unappealing. I can eat junk food but not that kind. Even the "unprocessed" meals looked weird.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

I agree RM the portions look enormous.

Ted, thank you for the links. I am afraid the link about children from poorer backgrounds does not open for me.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Quote Originally Posted by Gilli View Post
    Ted, thank you for the links. I am afraid the link about children from poorer backgrounds does not open for me.
    Have redone it so should work now

Thanks for the pictures Ted.

I couldn't have been a participant in that study. First all that diet lemonade (with added fibre no less!!) would have given me a screaming headache. Secondly, the processed diet would have put my BG through the roof, while I'd have given up on chewing my way through those huge salads.

The quantities looked huge. And they were -- both diets were around 3900 kca/day and 49% carbohydrate.

As for the cost variance, I think they could have reduced the cost of the unprocessed diet quite significantly with a bit of smart shopping -- buying store brands for staples, seasonal or on sale meat and veggies.