Thread: Deaths from falls in the elderly increasing.

Default Deaths from falls in the elderly increasing.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/death...icans-are-rise

“Deaths from falls may have increased because older people are living longer, living longer independently, and are living longer with chronic conditions,” said Elizabeth Burns, a study co-author and health scientist at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s injury center.

She noted that some medications also make older adults prone to falls. That includes prescription drugs affecting balance. Burns said research shows their use of certain psychiatric medications that can cause drowsiness and vision problems has increased substantially in recent years.
    I doubt if the increase is due to living longer, I suspect it's much more likely to be caused by over-medication. Especially BP and anti-cholesterol medications. Neil Postman got it wrong, we're not "amusing ourselves to death" we're being medicated to death.

Its definitely a cause for concern. So often you hear relatives tracing the decline of elderly relatives to a fall. Certain medications certainly don't help.

Having watched my father and father in law approach the end of their lives, I am inclined to think that the falling is a symptom of the infirmity rather than the cause of death. Where medication messes with the electrolyte balance, and many of them do, the ability to maintain vertical hold simply fails.

My father had all his marbles to the end, had battled colon cancer and recovered from 2 serious strokes in his fifties. When he was admitted to hospital and then transferred to a care home because he could not stay upright (and my stepmother could not get him back on his feet when he fell) he basically gave up the fight to survive and was dead within a week. My father in law had increasingly bad dementia for the last 10 years of his life and survived for three years from his admission to hospital following a series of falls. In the end his heart failed.

Neither of them died because of the falls. They both died because they were old.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

I've always been prone to tripping/falling but it's git worse as I aged. My orthopod told me is a documented that as people aged tgey just don't pick their feet up as much.

I got much worse after my second knee op as my body was out of alignment. Since uding a walking stick in December there hasn't bern one trip/fall.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Mannity View Post
    https://www.foxnews.com/health/death...icans-are-rise

I doubt if the increase is due to living longer, I suspect it's much more likely to be caused by over-medication. Especially BP and anti-cholesterol medications. Neil Postman got it wrong, we're not "amusing ourselves to death" we're being medicated to death.
    Muscle wastage from statin over-prescription...
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’