Thread: Total cholesterol and all-cause mortality by sex and age: a prospective cohort study

Default Total cholesterol and all-cause mortality by sex and age: a prospective cohort study

Total cholesterol and all-cause mortality by sex and age: a prospective cohort study among 12.8 million adults

There is a disconnect between the advice we are currently being given
    Total cholesterol levels less than 200 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) 5.172mmol/L are considered desirable for adults. A reading between 200 and 239 mg/dL (6.18mmol/L) is considered borderline high and a reading of 240 mg/dL ( 6.206mmol/L) and above is considered high.

and what is actually reported in recent research
    The NCEP experts classified TC levels into 3 categories: <200, 200239, and ≥240 mg/dL, as desirable, borderline high, and high levels, respectively, mainly based on the association between TC and IHD21.
    In the current study, however, TC levels of 210249 mg/dL (5.431- 6.18mmol/L) and approximately 200240 mg/dL were associated with the lowest mortality in the categorical and spline analyses, respectively.
    Our study suggested that the optimal ranges for overall survival are higher than that those for IHD.
    Cholesterol levels might be a marker of general health, rather than a marker specific for CVD

Thanks for this Ted.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Thanks Ted, another study blowing dust in the face of the lipid/CVD hypothesis- and will be ignored sadly.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Thanks Ted,

Before Statins, the normal level for total cholesterol was 240 - 280 mg/dL. I know this because my mother had high cholesterol back in the early 1970s -- total cholesterol of over 400 mg/dL. So they had her in hospital, on a cholesterol-free diet (yuck!) and medicated on some pre-statin med I can't remember the name of, and her cholesterol level went up. The only thing they accomplished was to give her gallstones.

And as she lived to be 90, despite having Parkinson's, without statins, but with "sky high" cholesterol. Which is why I refuse to (a) worry about my cholesterol level and (b) take statins.