Thread: More evidence that no best diet exists

Default More evidence that no best diet exists

This came across my news feed today. It should be from the Captain Obvious department.

https://www.businessinsider.com/what...h-thing-2019-6
    Scientists had 1,100 adults in the US and UK eat the same common foods (like muffins for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch), and tracked participants' glucose levels before and after meals. The results showed that no two individuals' reactions were the same ó more evidence that there's no such thing as a perfect, one-size-fits-all diet.
    "Even we were surprised by the results," Tim Spector, an epidemiologist and professor at King's College in London who led the study, told Business Insider. "Just because some diet or recommendation is out there doesn't mean that you fit it."
    Of course, it's not actually "new" news. This is from November 2015
    https://www.sciencealert.com/univers...al-study-finds

Universal Diets Donít Work Because ĎHealthyí Foods Differ by Individual, Study Finds

Itís no secret that lots of us struggle with food. In many parts of the world, large segments of the population are developing health problems such as diabetes and obesity at alarming levels, suggesting that current dietary policies are ineffective at keeping people within their healthy weight range.

According to a new study, this situation isnít altogether surprising. Israeli researchers tracked the blood sugar levels of 800 participants over the course of a week and found that even if people all eat the same meal, how they end up metabolising it will differ from person to person. In other words, what might be healthy for you wonít necessarily be equally healthy for somebody else.
    What is new though, is the use of CGMs to track the effect on blood glucose of the standardised meals provided to the study participants. Of course, blood glucose isn't the only thing that matters in diet -- it's just one of the easiest to measure right now. Dollars to donuts, different people digest fats, proteins, vitamins and other trace elements differently just as much as they differ in glucose metabolism.

With a bit of luck, there'll be several of these studies done in the next few years and the myth of the single superior "healthy diet" will finally be laid to rest. (OK, I'm an optimist!)

Hugh, I do think there is a single good diet for all.
    JERF (just eat real food)
    Trust the process, the results will come

Well said Christelle.

Fascinating set of links Hugh, thank you for sharing them. I suspect you are right and that now the CGM is so readily available there will be numerous studies conducted on humans (rather than rodents or lagomorphs), unless the ill health industries think that the resulting data might be unhelpful for their businesses.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Thanks Hugh. Humans fall into so many different types that it only seems logical that one diet fits all doesn’t make sense.

I saw something about this in the Daily Mail but didn't get to read the article.

Surely the best diet is the one that works for you and becomes part of your daily routine. THD ticks all my boxes!

I agree Perry.

Absolutely THD works for me -- and my CGM confirms that. I'm consistently in a pretty normal range (100 - 140 mg/dL or 5.4 - 7.3 mmol/L)

With the CGM, if I'm curious as to how much any food will spike (or not) my blood glucose, then I can eat a measured amount and test every 1/2 hour without sticking my fingers.

Bonus: There are muffins in the office kitchen, but while I was briefly tempted, I did not succumb because I want to keep in that nice narrow range. Sugar is a hell of a drug...

Resisting temptation deserves praise even when the temptation is only momentary and fleeting. Three cheers for Hugh and for health.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Tim Specter is a respected researcher, but he's stating the obvious that not all bodies react the same. We all know people who at junk and are skinny as rakes, and others like me who look at carbs and gain weight. And a muffin fir breakfast wouldn't be my idea of a great brekkie. If there'd been a protein based one it might have bern more interesting.

I also spot the plant based diet being pushed.

Lead researcher Tim Spector said a good general rule is still to eat a variety of plants, including nuts, seeds, fruits, and vegetables, while incorporating some fermented foods into your diet.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.