Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obesity one of the largest causes of cancer?

Default Obesity one of the largest causes of cancer?

This was in the Times this morning.

I suspect the causes of cancer may well be the causes of obesity rather than obesity necessarily causing cancer itself. However, I do accept that fat mass is a giant organ with its own biochemical pathways and reactions.

What do you think?
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

I agree Gilli,

I think they'd struggle to prove that obesity causes cancer but the lifestyle that goes with the obesity might have a lot to do with it.

And not just obese, but overweight included, with over BMI of 25 seen as a risk. I know I'll never be normal BMI due to water retention in my legs, so that means even though the rest isn't fat I am more at risk. Seems dumb.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Interesting times, I know people worry about fat shaming but I do think it's important that people undertand more clearly how being overweight has specific health challenges as opposed to it just being about how they look.

Quote Originally Posted by roseymary View Post
    And not just obese, but overweight included, with over BMI of 25 seen as a risk. I know I'll never be normal BMI due to water retention in my legs, so that means even though the rest isn't fat I am more at risk. Seems dumb.
    BMI is a junk measure. There are a large number of very fit athletes -- weight lifters, US Football players,wrestlers, et al. -- as well as members of the military who are "overweight" according to the BMI tables but in reality very healthy, just heavily-muscled and with very little body fat.

According to the article:
    A Cancer Research UK study has revealed that excess weight is a bigger cause of bowel, kidney, ovarian and liver cancer than tobacco.
    Now let's see, what causes obesity, well that would be carbs mostly. What are the top 2 carbs: Wheat and HFCS. Wheat is known to cause inflammation in the gut. The fructose in HFCS is processed by the liver. I suspect soy(a) might have something to do with the increased incidence of ovarian cancer -- all those phytoestrogens.

The whole thing ties in to "metabolic syndrome" so you can bet dollars to donuts that large numbers of obese/overweight people are on BP meds, most of the T2 diabetics will be on any number of meds (BP meds, statins, possibly SGLT2 Inhibitors such as Jardiance). SCLT2 Inhibitors have been linked to kidney cancer. The liver has to process this glorious chemical cocktail.

My money is on the same dietary and medication factors causing both cancers (via chronic inflammation, hormone disruption, and toxicity) and obesity.

Just Eat Real Food

Club Member

My BMI is 44, all the consultants apologise for using that figure saying we know you are not "fat" but it is all we have to go on.

They now cannot get a BP reading, even by putting the cuff around my lower leg will not give a correct reading (they are not allowed to use my arms) - the nurses say well you are breathing that will have to do.

https://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk...-cause-cancer/ This is on the cancer research site - interesting, but probably not conclusive

Quote Originally Posted by Ffion View Post
    https://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk...-cause-cancer/ This is on the cancer research site - interesting, but probably not conclusive
    Thanks Ffion, for an interesting article.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Can it be that overweight people are trying to loose weight, is following government guidelines and by doing so, increasing their inflammation? And this in turns cause the cancer to spread faster?
    Just a thought
    Trust the process, the results will come

Quote Originally Posted by Christelle View Post
    Can it be that overweight people are trying to loose weight, is following government guidelines and by doing so, increasing their inflammation? And this in turns cause the cancer to spread faster?
    Just a thought
    I think more likely that they're just addicted to carbs.