Thread: A new censorship tool

Default A new censorship tool

which could be misused to prevent discussion about what is really healthy and what is merely in the interests of big pharma and big agric.

I am finding myself on the fence. I think that web platforms have a role to play in preventing political extremism and terrorism. I am concerned though that we are losing freedom of speech by allowing such a tool/weapon to be engaged.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Censorship doesn't prevent people from "wrongthink" (to use a current term for dissenting opinions). It drives it underground. Now that the internet is pretty much ubiquitous, nothing posted is ever completely lost. As dissenting opinions are "deplatformed", they find or make new more obscure platforms.

The louder and more violently the hard left & Antifa pursue "Nazis" (i.e. anyone to the right of Lenin) the more people on the right are likely to move away from Facebook, Google, Twitter, et al. and seek sanctuary elsewhere on the net.

I believe in a free web - totally non-political!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    I believe in a free web - totally non-political!
    What exactly do you mean by that, Mat? A web which is free from all political discussion and posting or a web where everyone is free to post whatever they like? If the latter how could it be kept non-political?

My big concern is whenever they have a pop at the anti-vaxxers. Not because I have an axe to grind either way on vaccination because I think it is pushed by the government bodies in order to have herd immunity but there are some who suffer damage and the safety net does not do enough to compensate them or their families (in so far as any compensation is possible - I had a colleague whose child was vaccine damaged and it was terrible).

It always seems to me that the next target after anti-vaxxers will be those who don't agree with statins and think cholesterol is not a cause of heart disease and before long it will be impossible to post that type two diabetes can be reversed by following a low carb diet. The idea that any post we make can be "replaced" with a post which meets the approval of the government body is censorship of the most insidious kind.

My head is spinning with the possibilities/consequences of this. My first thought is that it smacks of social engineering. I think it needs great thought and discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilli View Post
    What exactly do you mean by that, Mat? A web which is free from all political discussion and posting or a web where everyone is free to post whatever they like? If the latter how could it be kept non-political?
    More free from political interference! - You only need to look at China and Turkey to see what an interfered-with WWW looks like! (I've just re-read 1984....)
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Gilli - I find it scary, anyone who doesn't spout official propaganda on diet, health etc could be a target. Sounds like a communist state.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by roseymary View Post
    Gilli - I find it scary, anyone who doesn't spout official propaganda on diet, health etc could be a target. Sounds like a communist state.
    That's exactly it!! - Once you start 'moderating' the net; you will always have biased moderators who will impose their will.

The idea is great in theory if it removes the 'crap' but alas - the damage that could be done, in my opinion, far outweighs the good and thus should not be implemented!

There's some "interesting" editing going on at Wikipedia. Several right of center authors are having their wikpedia pages removed as being fake. They've even targeted the Baen publishing house -- home of a lot of military SF amongst other stuff.

"Right wing" (what a few years ago used to be pretty much center, as the US has drifted a long way to the left) news sites, blogs, etc. are being de-platformed.

The internet terrifies The Powers That Be because they can't control it. Before the internet, TPTB could control public information -- the media reported what it was told to report. Anyone who had doubts about the official story was pretty much on their own. Dissenting information was out there, but it was hard to find. But the cat is out of the bag. We have more cameras (video and still) than ever before. Anyone can (or could until recently) post anything - any opinion, any evidence that contradicted the official account of things.

Pick a topic you know well -- any topic, and read the news reports. It won't take long before you realise that journalists get it wrong. Then extrapolate -- if they're wrong about nutrition (which we can all pretty much agree on here), what makes you think they're any better about climate change, gun control, crime, vaccinations, racism, or any other topic.

Richard Nixon may have been a crook (his crimes were before the internet, so we only have the official narrative) but he was right on one thing: Trust, but verify. Except these days, I'm not sure that it's advisable to trust before verifying.