Thread: THE SECRET LIFE OF DATA Maryanne Demasi, Ph.D.

Default THE SECRET LIFE OF DATA Maryanne Demasi, Ph.D.

THE SECRET LIFE OF DATA Maryanne Demasi, Ph.D.
    Worth reading the whole article.
    There isn't any justification in keeping secret the data on which the decisions made about the safety of Statin Therapy is based.
    If they have nothing to hide they would at least made it available to other researchers to examine.

I think my understanding of that article is that access is now going to be available to the data through the back door.

If this is not a mistake the analyses of the data should make interesting reading. Thanks for the article Ted.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

I don’t think it’s even through the back door Gilli. Surely the information is there for the taking by anyone who wishes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamie View Post
    I don’t think it’s even through the back door Gilli. Surely the information is there for the taking by anyone who wishes it.
    What I meant by back door was this

we have an opportunity to bypass the CTT and obtain the data we require from drug regulatory agencies.
    The CTT don't have to hand it over but the drug regulatory agencies probably do. Let us hope the CTT does not find a way to limit the data passed to the agencies.

I was reading it yesterday when very tired so wasn't absolutely sure that it said what it seems to say.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Default A Reappraisal of the Lipid Hypothesis

A Reappraisal of the Lipid Hypothesis
    LDL-C is considered the primary constituent of atherosclerotic plaque.
    Therefore, it stands to reason that lowering serum LDL-C should prevent cardiovascular disease.
    Three decades of RCTs, however, have yielded inconsistent and contradictory results.
    We must acknowledge these anomalies and either modify or reject the lipid hypothesis.
    Clearly, some individuals do benefit from lipid-modifying therapy.
    I believe the real question is how to identify them.
    Our current approach of focusing almost exclusively on lowering LDL-C for everyone does not consistently work, may result in unnecessary treatment of some healthy individuals, and likely reflects the fact that the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis is far more complex than originally thought.
    Our LDL-C-centric approach to cardiovascular disease prevention may have distracted us from investigating other pathophysiologic mechanisms and treatments.
    Last, we should not ignore the benefits of a healthy lifestyle.
    Although changing our patients’ lifestyle is more difficult than prescribing a pill, the benefits are far more robust.
    Sorry if a link to this has already been posted but I may have missed it.
    Zoe and Malcolm have been telling us much the same as this for many years now so no surprises here but maybe some useful ammunition to fire are your GP when statins are mentioned.

However the article fails to mention the adverse consequences of giving cholesterol lowering treatments to virtually everyone. It is wrong to ignore the fact that many people suffer life changing consequences from statin exposure a higher incidence of diabetes and motor neurone disease (ALS) seriously damage quality of life and Motor Neurone Disease (ALS) is probably the worst way possible to end your life.
    Last edited by TedHutchinson; 1st August 2019 at 09:41 AM.