Thread: Chilli and dementia.

Default Chilli and dementia.

Bet you thought you'd never see that association spruked. Huge amount of chilli, so as I don't like highly spiced food I'm happy.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/hig...6df79870d2b4e4
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Sadly a "subscriber only" article so can't access it. However, the headline says:

"A love of chilli could speed the onset of dementia, according to a new international study".
    Sue - the first "no thank you" is the easiest

Ah! So we don't have to eat chilli (which incidentally I am doing as I type) merely loving it is sufficient to advance the onset of dementia?

I love spicy food. My paternal grandfather spent many years in India and my father made legendary curries probably once a week on average. My grandfather died relatively young in an outbreak of typhoid and my father died at 86 with all his faculties intact. My paternal grandmother had what we called senility in the 1960s but which might now be called dementia or possibly brain injury. I was a small child and it is not easy to piece things together. It was a sudden catastrophic event which hastened the onset in her. She went into hospital for some minor surgery in her sixties and something went wrong and she did not recognise anyone again and was dead within two years. So obviously anecdotal and not enough data to be statistically significant.

Any chance of the mechanism for the association being disclosed RM?
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Here's the words, which I can access via FB not but the link.
    Hot chilli brings on dementia, says new study
    New research says that eating lots of chilli can speed the onset of dementia
    New research says that eating lots of chilli can speed the onset of dementia
    In today’s Higher Ed Daily Brief: Spicy food brings memory loss, QUT’s new law dean

Beware red hot chilli peppers

A love of chilli could speed the onset of dementia, according to new study University of South Australia epidemiologist Ming Li and international colleagues.

PERRY WILLIAMS
    The research, carried out over 15 years, examined 4582 Chinese adults over the age of 55 and found that those consuming large quantities of chilli — over 50 grams a day — had over double the risk of memory decline and poor cognition.

Eating lots of chilli can also have benefits because it has an active component called capsaicin which, according to earlier research, helps keep weight down by speeding up metabolism and helps reduce blood pressure.

But losing weight due to chilli consumption also has a downside because the memory decline for chilli lovers is even more pronounced if they are slim, rather than overweight.

Dr Li, one of five researchers involved in the study, said chilli intake which was measured in the study included both fresh and dried chilli peppers but not sweet capsicum or black pepper.

“Chilli is one of the most commonly used spices in the world and particularly popular in Asia compared to European countries,” Dr Li said. “In certain regions of China, such as Sichuan and Hunan, almost one in three adults consume spicy food every day.

I like spicy food but I don't think I'll bother about this headline. There are whole continents of people who eat a lot more than I ever will and they aren't all prematurely senile.

Thanks for the further material RM.

But losing weight due to chilli consumption also has a downside because the memory decline for chilli lovers is even more pronounced if they are slim, rather than overweight.
    Could fat be protective? It seems to be just as likely as an association based on the available data.

Also interesting that the study subjects are chinese because my limited experience of chinese spicy food is that it is very high in sugars and of course rice or noodles are always the major part of the meal!

Might be Gilli, but no researcher wanting funding would dare suggest that, and 50 g of chili is a LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by roseymary View Post
    Might be Gilli, but no researcher wanting funding would dare suggest that, and 50 g of chili is a LOT.
    That is true RM. Sainsbury's sell chilli peppers in 60g bags and I would probably use the contents in 8 - 10 portions of food and would most likely remove the seeds and pith before using.

Another thought, chillies are supposed to be good for depressives. Are those eating large amounts of chilli actually self-medicating for depression?

This seems to be yet another study which raises more questions than answers!

Club Member

Gosh SIL loves chilli and can get down re his work, so not sure now where to warn him of chilli or encourage him to eat more - what a dilemma.