Thread: For those who struggle to give up dairy or wheat containing foods

Default For those who struggle to give up dairy or wheat containing foods

here is a paper which shows the foods which when ingested and digested have parts which bind to the opioid receptors in our brains just like morphine.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

All got a bit technical for me Gilli but I think I get the gist. Thanks.

Club Member

I also got lost. I understood the first bit about reactions to opioids because I have a bad reaction to morphine. I think I understood that certain foods can act on pain receptors and that there is research to harness this. (I may have totally misunderstood the whole).

Is it being said that people then eat certain foods e.g. junk fast foods because in consuming that food it brings about temporary relief from certain pain and to keep pain free, people consume more. So is comfort eating more than trying to elevate emotional pain but has a role in physical pain?

Can someone help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineJ View Post
    I also got lost. I understood the first bit about reactions to opioids because I have a bad reaction to morphine. I think I understood that certain foods can act on pain receptors and that there is research to harness this. (I may have totally misunderstood the whole).

Is it being said that people then eat certain foods e.g. junk fast foods because in consuming that food it brings about temporary relief from certain pain and to keep pain free, people consume more. So is comfort eating more than trying to alleviate emotional pain but has a role in physical pain?

Can someone help me out.
    I think that is absolutely what is happening in people who simply cannot stop at one biscuit for example. It is a form of self-medication.

This explains my relationship with cheese!

Club Member

Could be HC but then what is the answer to reducing your pain? Is it emotionally or physical?

Not wanting to seem either too deep or too shallow here, but we are all biological organisms with complex biochemical pathways. Is an emotion not also a physical reaction? ie the things we feel are driven by pheromones, hormones, transmitter chemicals so even though we have categorised certain reactions as "emotional" they are surely also physical.

Without analysing what we are feeling too closely there are things we do which make us feel better!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffi coffi View Post
    This explains my relationship with cheese!
    Gosh if I knew the answer to that! There is something about the texture of cheese in my mouth, it's very satisfying. My pain is mainly psychological as you are asking

On the basis of N = 1 I was in very bad pain yesterday afternoon, I'd done too much and I went on a sugar binge (not mentioned in their list but still attaches to the opioid receptors in our brains). It's rare for me to get such an intense desire for a lots of sugar so I do wonder if the 2 were associated.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Club Member

Interesting. Gives us some thing to think on when reaching out for something - why do I need this, am I feeling some type of pain.

A few years ago, when I was in a dark place due to health and the knock on effect that was having on me and my family, I saw my lovely counsellor, who I still see from time to time. She taught me to stop, when I could not be in control of what was happening and ask myself what was it I needed at that particular moment - was it a hug, did I need to talk to someone, did I need to sleep, did I need to cry, was I in muted physical pain somewhere but could not verbalize where it was, did I need to vent anger but it was not the person who was listening to my anger, I was angry with.

Not to turn to food to manage pain/discomfort any form. I still follow this advice - What do I need now.