Thread: Marika Sboros in her FoodMed Blog presents . . .

Default Marika Sboros in her FoodMed Blog presents . . .

. . . Georgia Ede's ideas about Nutritional Psychiatry.

She also has an earlier blog about more academic bullying at the University of Cape Town. This follows on from her coverage of the proceedings against Professor Tim Noakes at which our own Dr Zoe Harcombe was a key witness.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Thanks for spotting this Gilli!

Very interesting!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Club Member

I found that of interest, in fact I have shared the first link with a friend who a psychiatrist (about to retire).

The second link re UCT, is a very sad reflection of society today. Whether it is mobbing an individual on a street or an individual in a large institution, those on the outside feeling powerless to stop the momentum.
    Last edited by ChristineJ; 25th September 2019 at 08:19 AM.

Interesting but i wouldl quibble with ADHD being thrown in with mental illness as would argue that it is an neuroatypical disorder which puts you at a higher risk of mental illness but is not an illness as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffi coffi View Post
    Interesting but i wouldl quibble with ADHD being thrown in with mental illness as would argue that it is an neuroatypical disorder which puts you at a higher risk of mental illness but is not an illness as such.
    I am interested that you see it that way HC. You have a wide experience of interacting professionally with people suffering all sorts of such conditions. When the Marika Sboros article says
    A lack of essential nutrients is known to contribute to the onset of poor mental health in people suffering from anxiety and depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and ADHD.
    I interpreted it as meaning that the onset of all those conditions including ADHD had poor nutrition as an underlying cause.

A friend of mine and I each have four children the youngest of which in each case came fairly close to the third in age. In both cases the youngest are wired slightly differently and I have been wondering whether it was depletion of good stuff to provide in utero in each case which made the difference between those 4th babies and their older siblings. That does not make it a mental illness per se, but there is some merit in the argument that nutritional deprivation at a crucial stage of development may have switched on some gene or switched off some gene or simply failed to grow the necessary structure sufficiently robustly.

Both young women are well into adulthood and getting along, but they each have a range of problems not exhibited by their siblings. Neither of them are formally diagnosed with anything, but in our case we chose to muddle through and support where we could rather than saddle the child with something which affected her future. We may have been wrong to do that!
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO