Thread: Who are you calling fat?

Default Who are you calling fat?

Currently showing on BBC2. Is anyone watching this. I am and Iím horrified. Iím sorry but I donít think there is anyway itís attractive or healthy to be so large. Victoriaís ideas are positively dangerous. Is she trying to convince us or herself? A lot of what she says sounds line psychobabble.

I didn’t see it but there is a review in the Times today and I am tempted to have a look at BBC iPlayer.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

I watched and was fascinated by her behaviour and reactions to some of the discussions. She seems to be totally close-minded to scientific fact or to any ideas that do not agree with her own. She often looked like a stroppy, bored adolescent.
    Fortunately, the other participants seem to be far more open to opinions and experiences. Part 2 is tonight.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Its interesting how many people who say that they love their body when they are big then lose weight at some point, does this mean that they were not so happy? I'm thinking Adele, Dawn French to name a few

I watched the second part whilst eating my lunch.
    I have to say I found the whole experiment disturbing. I cant make up my mind if "Victoria" is for real or if she is an agent provocateur. She was completely closed to any other point of view and even argued the odds with people brought in to talk about their experiences.
    She is peddling the opinion that not only should fat people love their bodies but we all should as well and never make any mention of dieting or health issues. She almost seemed to see one mans attempts to get fit via exercise as a betrayal.
    One participant had the view that as she didn't find fat bodies attractive then why should anyone else. I have to agree with her. I don't find fat attractive and I'm not afraid to say it. Why should I be? We all have different views on beauty. It is very subjective. I'm not saying I don't appreciate that fat people can be wonderful human beings (or as bad as anyone else) but I really don't think we are doing future generations any favours by normalising and even glorifying obesity.
    The very saddest thing about the whole program was that everyone concerned was still labouring under the misapprehension of eat less, move more as being the answer to weight loss. I just kept thinking that they needed some input from Zoe.
    Sorry to ramble on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffi coffi View Post
    Its interesting how many people who say that they love their body when they are big then lose weight at some point, does this mean that they were not so happy? I'm thinking Adele, Dawn French to name a few
    It's today's society - if you do not exude body-positivity; you are 'fat-shaming' - There's no middle ground left anymore.
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their Ďtoleranceí